Special Education Teacher/Department Head
Maine Central Institute is a town academy high school located in Pittsfield, Maine which serves approximately 450 students in grades 9-12. This number includes students from a variety of towns in the central Maine area along with students from other states and countries.
MCI seeks an experienced Special Education teacher with exceptional communication skills and leadership experience. In addition to leading the school’s special education program, this person will be a liason between the MSAD 53 Special Education department and MCI’s administration.
- Monitoring the delivery of special education programs and services in grade 9 through transition to insure compliance with legal guidelines, and provide technical assistance, resources, and support as needed.
- Assisting with the screening and hiring of department personnel, including teachers and educational technicians;
- With the Academic Dean, helping each teacher in the department to set annual goals and continuously evaluating their performance;
- Teaching classes to students requiring specially designed instruction;
- Screening all transfer students, coordinating referrals to special education, and managing a case load of students;
- Collaborating with administration in development of master schedule including recommendation of teaching assignments
- Supervision, preparation and administration of the department budget
- Performing other duties as assigned by the head of school.
- Supporting the school and its leadership.
- A high level of proficiency with technology is essential, including the use of SpedNet, office software and 1:1 mobile technology;
- Knowledge of best practice and legal requirements and IDEA regulations related to special education instruction, teaching methodology and behavior management of students with disabilities;
- Experience coordinating and leading IEP teams and developing plans;
- Exemplary leadership qualities and communication skills
The candidate must have a BA or BS degree and appropriate certification. A master’s degree in special education is preferred.
MCI offers a competitive benefits package including medical and dental plans, disability and life insurance, and flexible spending accounts. On-campus housing is available if interested.
Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume, completed MCI application (http://www.mci-school.org/uploaded/PDFs/Job_Application.pdf) and three letters of reference to:
Heidi Cook, Dean of Academics
Maine Central Institute
295 Main Street
Pittsfield, ME 04967
Phone: 207-487-4453 x162