TITLE: Teacher – Special Education (School Year 2020-2021)
1. Eligible for appropriate Maine Department of Education certification. (282/286)
2. Experience with TEACH and Case Management at the MIddle School level.
REPORTS TO: Building Leader
SUPERVISES: Educational Technicians
1. Prepares student Individualized Education Plans: In consultation with parents and IEP team members, drafts, develops
and implements IEP’s and transition plans with measureable goals.
2. Conducts IEP meetings within timelines.
3. Acts as a facilitator of IEP implementation with general education staff.
4. Maintains IEP’s, quarterly reports and progress monitoring for caseload. Evaluates, observes and follows criteria for
determining eligibility of students with disabilities.
5. Completes all special education paperwork accurately, according to regulations, and submits them on time.
6. Obtains and maintains compliant special education files.
7. Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
8. Prepares for classes assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
9. Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the
10. Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the
location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
11. Strives to implement by instruction and action the district’s philosophy of education and instructional goals and
12. Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
13. Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administration regulation.
14. Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and, for the
classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a
fair and just manner.
15. Makes provisions for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day
when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
16. Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s).
17. Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
18. Attends staff meetings and serves on district and building committees in order to take part in decision-making process.
19. Encourages students to set and maintain high standards of classroom behavior.
20. Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and in harmony with the goals establishes clear
objectives for all lessons, units, projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
21. Coordinate services across all agency lines and serve as a single point of contact.
22. Other job-related duties as assigned by the Building Leader.