Presumpscot Elementary School
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: This position serves as Presumpscot School's "Director of First Impressions" , the first person to greet, welcome and serve students, families , staff, guests and all stakeholders. As the organization’s go-to person, the ability to communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively face-to-face, as well as in reports, memos, communications, and routine emails, is vital. Under general supervision, performs varied office and secretarial work for a supervisor.
After familiarization with the work, terminology and procedures, employees exercise initiative by performing and following through independently on a variety of matters requiring an understanding of the school programs and related organizational units and functions of PPS. Position requires good office clerical skills. This position works collaboratively with the teachers, parents, staff and students to create a productive and welcoming office and school environment.
This position is a full year position.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Performs various administrative and secretarial duties necessary to assist smooth functioning of Presumpscot Elementary School.
- Schedules and maintains the calendar, commits supervisors and/or staff to appointments, and coordinates with other departments, as well as other stakeholders.
- Answers a large volume of telephone calls and inquiries, resolves issues and/or takes messages, screening and routing calls to appropriate supervisors and staff.
- Sets up and maintains administrative and confidential files.
- Researches, compiles, and analyzes information for reports and delivers to appropriate staff.
- Prepares written materials from drafts, verbal instructions or on own.
- Initiates actions to keep supervisor and staff informed of operations and follows up.
- Creates and assembles materials and data for meetings and training.
- Arranges meetings, conference calls, and trainings and coordinates schedules.
- Maintains and follows up on correspondence controls assigned, due dates, reviewers, and signatures.
- Receives and screens visitors to office, answers inquiries regarding operations, with requests by explaining procedures.
- Performs skilled word processing by producing a variety of documents (letters, memos, reports, evaluations, bid documents, announcements, forms, etc.) from rough draft copy, verbal instructions, and brief notes.
- Utilizes full capability of equipment to create style sheets, move or merge text, check spelling, do arithmetic, create mailing lists and form letters.
- Produces charts, graphs and tables.
- Maintains electronic data files of documents following established procedures for creating backup files, purging files, and storing files.
- Keep unit accounts using manual or computerized recordkeeping systems.
- Answers inquiries regarding programs and services, explaining requirements and assisting callers in completing forms or other actions.
- Maintains and inventories office supplies.
- Maintains office or unit records for program and processes actions.
- Collect, processes, timesheets and leave slips and/or posts payroll
- Arranges for equipment service.
- Processes and assembles confidential files.
- Utilize software programs to create, enter and maintain data into databases and create reports.
- Organizing and coordinating translation services when required.
- Coordinates translation services for correspondence.
- Verifies Enrollment, (Portland county residency, immunizations, birth certificate, grade level, custody, previous school records, administer/score placement tests, Change of School Assignment, etc.)
- Runs and balances the student activities account with oversight from school leaders.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Considerable knowledge of business English, general vocabulary, spelling, and arithmetic.
- Working knowledge of secretarial procedures. Working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Ability to provide timely and accurate office support services to staff, compose routine office correspondence, setup and maintain office files, and manage office support services.
- Ability to operate computer terminals and similar office equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School or GED diploma required. One year experience in performing responsible clerical and secretarial work in a busy office environment.
- Other combinations of education, training, and experience which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position may be considered.