Search process: On behalf of the Islesboro School Committee, the Search Committee invites applications for a student focused educational leader to begin on July 1, 2019. Islesboro Central School (ICS) seeks a strong educational leader and mentor for a learning environment which empowers students and teachers through individual pathways for learning. The position will combine traditional administrative duties with curriculum development, organizational oversight, and other responsibilities linked to student achievement and growth. Approximately 25% of the students at ICS commute daily from the mainland through our Magnet Program. Other duties to be determined based on the strengths of the final candidate.
The school: Islesboro Central School is situated on a beautiful 13-mile-long island in upper Penobscot Bay, Maine. In recent years, ICS has become known as an innovative leader in providing personalized learning for each student. ICS prides itself on its ability to provide a nurturing and challenging environment for each student in grades K-12, by ensuring that all students have access to a rigorous program of academics along with a wide range of program in the arts, athletics, and extracurricular activities. With unyielding support from the community for each student, this one-of-a-kind island community is poised to establish a new 10-year vision for moving forward, built on our history of excellence.
- Works collaboratively with Head of School to carry out the administrative functions of the school.
- Demonstrates strong instructional leadership and interpersonal skills with staff, parents, students, and community members.
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills, with an emphasis on innovative, personalized approaches to school wide initiatives.
- Exhibits integrity and high professional ethics, as well as a high level of energy, creativity, self-motivation, flexibility, and personal warmth.
- Demonstrates a collaborative, problem-solving, progressive leadership style that encourages participation, respects diversity of opinion, and promotes involvement of all segments of the school community.
- Possesses strong skills in positive behavioral interventions and support, school culture, and student management.
- Promotes a school culture that is caring, inclusive and positive while developing outstanding rapport with students.
- Fosters academic excellence by mentoring and supporting staff, including the ability to motivate and inspire both students and staff.
- Is sensitive to the diversity of rural and island school needs, and is willing to enter actively into school and community life as an advocate for students and their families.
To be considered for this position, please submit the following no later than March 15, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.:
- A letter of interest summarizing one’s qualifications
- A professional resume
- A completed application, available from the Superintendent’s Office or ICS website.
- A minimum of three, and preferably five, current letters of recommendation.
- Post-secondary transcripts
- Maine certifications for teacher and/or administration.
- Masters degree in an area beneficial to ICS.
Salary and benefits based on qualifications and experience.
- Paid health insurance
- 200 days per year
- Multi-year contract negotiable
- Service to begin on July 1, 2019
All materials should be sent to:
Head of School
Islesboro Central School
159 Alumni Drive, PO Box 118
Islesboro, Maine 04848