Group Facilitators/ Project Mentors; Individual Project Coordinator; Instructors: Scientific Writing, Mathematics, Statistics, Foreign Language, and Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Psychology, or Physics)
WHEN (pending additional school snow days)
June 18-June 22, 2018 Staff Training
June 24-August 3, 2018 Summer Program
The TRIO Upward Bound programs are federally funded programs designed to support college aspirations of high school students. The programs offer an intensive six-week residential program at the University of Maine. The program mission is “to provide fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves: high school students from low-income families; and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor’s degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.” (U.S. Department of Education)
The Academic Team provides students with a challenging yet supportive environment that allows students to explore their interests related to career fields in preparation for college. Using resources on the university campus and the academic expertise of staff, students are able to engage in learning in new and exciting ways. Throughout the experience, students build confidence in themselves as students and budding professionals, and may learn that the pathway to earning a college education (including master’s or doctoral level education) is achievable.
Must have completed a Bachelor’s program and/or be enrolled in Master’s or Ph.D. program. Exceptional upper level undergraduate students considered. Must currently be in good academic standing. Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Experience working with low-income, first-generation-to-college students
- Teaching experience
- TRIO background
- Approximately $2800 -$3000 for seven weeks of employment
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete an online application at http://umaine.edu/ub/want-to-work-with-ubms/
- Current UMaine students, please apply for Summer Work-Study by April 7 with UM Student Employment or at 2018 Summer Work-study Application. While eligibility for summer work-study funds is not required for employment, it does help us.
- Priority deadline is March 1st. However, applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Contact the UB Office at 1-800-581-2522 or email Steve.Philbrick@maine.edu or Lori.Wingo