The Maine Educational Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing/Gov. Baxter School for the Deaf wishes to fill a full-time, 185-day, school year Public School Outreach Consultant/ Itinerant position within the Public School Outreach and Community Services program. Position will be located in Brewer, Maine.
- Provides ongoing educational consultation and technical assistance to professionals working with children who are deaf or hard of hearing in public and private schools throughout designated areas in Maine.
- Provides itinerant specially designed instruction to deaf and hard of hearing students in mainstream settings.
- Provides in-service training to public school professionals.
- Writes Student Observation Summary reports.
- Participates in periodic program sponsored family activities.
- Provides itinerant services for a limited number of students.
- Works with the Public School Outreach Team to develop educational webinars.
- Co-facilitates regional “Kids Like Me” programs.
- Serves students in public school settings using all communication modalities.
- Communicates regularly with a broad variety of professionals.
- Works collaboratively with parents and professionals to develop positive and successful educational programs for students.
- Eligibility for Maine Teacher of the Deaf certification.
- Strong knowledge base in language and literacy development.
- Prior teaching experience with children who are deaf or hard of hearing, (K-8th grade).
- Knowledge of hearing assistive technology (HAT) such as cochlear implants, hearing aids, and remote microphone systems.
- Knowledge of the variety of communication modalities used by students who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Experience using social media and digital technology or a willingness to learn.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of teams.
- Ability to communicate in American Sign Language or a willingness to learn.
- Masters Degree in Deaf Education preferred.
A competitive salary and benefits package, including medical/dental insurrance, Maine State Retirement and paid sick/personal time, is offered.
If interested in applying for this position, please click the APPLY link next to the Teacher of the Deaf listing on the Maine Educational Center Career Opportunities website page.
PLEASE NOTE: Employment cannot be finalized until the applicant has completed requirements for complete background checks and fingerprinting as required by Maine State Statute.
We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to aldl of our job openings.