- This is a part time teaching position (.25 FTE/ approx. 10 Hours per week)
- Must be available at the following times:
Breakwater language program fosters development in the following key concepts:
- to develop an appreciation of the culture and history of Spanish speaking countries
- to understand how to learn and study a language and
- to gain basic speaking and literacy skills in Spanish
The Spanish teacher assumes the valuable role of continuing the Spanish program in grades 5 to 8. Breakwater students begin their journey in the Spanish language in Preschool. The work of the middle school Spanish teacher is to prepare students for high school Spanish as well as to travel internationally to Costa Rica in their 8th grade year and to attain basic conversational skills while immersed in a school exchange experience. This work requires organization, dedication, and motivation. An effective Spanish educator models what it is to experience the world as a bilingual person and shares their delight with their students.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s Degree or comparable preferred.
- At least 3-5 years of classroom or relevant teaching experience is expected.
- Demonstrates a passion for teaching and learning languages.
- Applicant has a high level of proficiency in the Spanish language
- Knowledgeable of best practices in language development
- Multi-age classroom experience, or experience with a diverse range of learners, is especially helpful for this position. Understands how to develop and implement differentiated instruction.
- Understanding of and experience with "social curriculum" and building strong, positive relationships with children, families, and colleagues.
- Ability to create a safe, organized, and well managed classroom (teachers handle most of the discipline issues in their own classrooms) that encourages responsible student behavior and supports student autonomy, orderly thinking, and metacognition in the classroom.
- Being an effective member on a collaborative team, as well as assume leadership.
- Deep understanding of child development, human growth and learning, and developmentally responsive best practices.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and using formative assessment, as well as summative measures, to improve instruction.
- Experience and proven ability to effectively plan and deliver project-based/student-centered/integrated curriculum experiences while ensuring students are learning essential skills and concepts.
- Commitment to your own professional development, openness to truly challenge your own teaching practices to do what is best for students, and willingness to contribute to the team’s growth is expected.
- Excellent communication skills are essential and ability to effectively write narrative reports and classroom blogs.
Breakwater is an equal opportunity employer (EOE), and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability and genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factor.
How to Apply:
Submit your cover letter, resume, three letters of reference and proof of fingerprinting to firstname.lastname@example.org
The posting for this position will be active until December 17, 2018 with a start date of January 2, 2019. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
To learn more about Breakwater School visit us at: http://school.breakwaterlearning.org/