SUMMARY: Assists Special Education Teacher in delivery of educational services indicated in students Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and Positive Behavioral Support Plan (PBSP) within RISE/Day Treatment programs operated by Lewiston Public Schools.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Other duties may be assigned.
- Able to facilitate 1:1, 1:2 and small group instruction while meeting the needs of complex learners.
? This includes all academic and social opportunities throughout the day. Examples of this are any and all academic instruction and include other areas throughout a student's day such as lunch, recess, hallway transitions, and breaks with peers and transportation. Essentially this means that a RISE/DT Ed. Tech is always with their student(s), unless otherwise indicated by the IEP and/or Special Education Teacher direction.
- Able to implement and follow an IEP and PBSP.
? Responsible to implement de-escalation strategies throughout the day
- Assist with setup of classroom, individual student area, and prepares materials for specialized instruction.
- Collect relevant data and data entry.
- Assist in assembling/hanging materials on bulletin boards and keeping displays current as requested.
- Operates standard school equipment such as computer, laminator, copier, audiovisual, etc.
- Responsible for following day-to-day schedule of students
- The nature of 1:1 and other direct services in RISE/DT, by nature demand staff’s constant attention. This includes but not limited to:
- refraining from cell phone use, except during personal breaks
- being mindful of clothing choice worn on a daily basis (i.e. employees must wear closed-toe shoes)
- following precautions set forth in PBSP and by Sped / BCBA/Clinician direction
- keeping calm in unforeseen circumstances being thoughtful of variables that may, or may not maintain challenging behavior.
- Because of the nature of the services we provide to our students, teamwork is imperative. Good teamwork starts with professional communication skills that facilitate a safe and structured environment for students and staff.
? Written communication
¦ Any written communication should be legible, professional and with the best interest of students in mind.
? Verbal communication
¦ Feedback may be delivered in many different methods during the day. Feedback should always be intended as a tool to improve one’s skill and/or increase job knowledge.
¦ Directions and Recommendations given by Special Education Teacher, BCBA,Clinician, and school administration should be followed through with to the greatest extent possible.
¦ Communication between Ed. Techs should be appropriate to the environment and audience which surrounds them.
Instruction in RISE/DT classroom with Special Education Teacher with 1:1, 1:2 and small groups in RISE/DT and General Education classrooms as indicated.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PREVIOUS EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Three years postsecondary education and/or the accumulation of 90 credit hours of approved study in a related area. (For vocational education three years of work experience in the field.)
- This is essential for Education Technician III certification required by Maine DOE.
- This is also required for (School Based) Behavioral Health Professional (BHP) certification.\
To Apply: www.lewistonpublicschools.org
- 3 Letters of reference
- Gaps in employment
- Ed Tech certification
Salary Range: $16.00 - $20.90 per hour