This is a 40 hour per week, academic year position with our CDS Two Rivers office in Brewer. Travel may be required. Work will take place primarily in Dover-Foxcroft at a program with a child to staff ratio of 14:3.
The Teacher of Children with Disabilities is a member of the IFSP/IEP team and provides services to children age 3 to age 5 and ensures that services meet the requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Educational Improvement Act (IDEA) of 2004 and Maine's Unified Special Education Regulations Chapter 101.
- Engages the child in developmental and learning activities.
- Provides instruction at the child's developmental level.
- Facilitates learning by engaging the child at the child's level while understanding and seeing what interests the child, or utilizes direct teaching techniques, as appropriate.
- Supports and facilitates the acquisition of new academic and social skills/knowledge and ensures quality delivery of the same.
- Communicates to other team members all relevant information pertaining to the child's learning environment, family events and other pertinent information that may affect the child's learning.
- Implements curriculum appropriate to the nature and needs of individual children.
- Prepares or utilizes child appropriate activities in early intervention and special education environments.
- Supervises Educational Technicians in programs.
- Ensures that the parent receives accurate information in a timely manner.
- Informs the parent of progress toward child outcomes as a member of IFSP/IEP teams.
EVALUATION AND ASSESSMENT:
- Conducts observations in the child's natural environment or LRE setting, as appropriate.
- Gathers and reviews documentation specific to the child's developmental history.
- Conducts interviews with the parent to obtain information specific to the child's developmental history.
- Determines the child's level of functioning and expresses that in a summary of evaluation results and diagnostic impressions within evaluation reports provided to the IFSP/IEP team.
RECORDKEEPING AND REPORT WRITING:
- Ensures that the evaluation findings are reported to the IFSP/IEP team.
- Contributes goals to the IFSP/IEP team and short term objectives where appropriate.
- Writes and maintains required reports for therapy to meet MaineCare and other regulatory requirements.
- Ensures that evaluation findings are reported to the IFSP/IEP team.
- Assists the IFSP/IEP team with goal development based upon assessment results.
EARLY INTERVENTION OR SPECIAL EDUCATION AND RELATED SERVICES:
- Provides Special Instruction as specified by the IFSP/IEP.
- Communicates with CDS Case Managers and other providers through the course of the child's IFSP/IEP.
BILLING DOCUMENTATION (INSURANCE AND MAINECARE):
- Completes billing documents to ensure proper billing to third parties and Case Managers in accordance with CDS practice.
- Any other appropriate duties the Site Director/Supervisor deems necessary.
- 282 (Teacher of Children with Disabilities) required
- Successful background, criminal records, and reference check
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Working knowledge of child development, disabilities, family systems and special education methods
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of people
- Ability to provide individual and group services in a variety of settings and models
- Ability to establish an effective rapport/relationship with children and parent
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of an early childhood team
- Ability to effectively communicate, orally and in writing
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Ability to adapt therapy techniques to varying personalities and environments
- Ability to travel to a variety of locations to deliver services
- Ability to treat and motivate young children
A complete application consists of a resume, completed employment application (on CDS website) cover letter, three professional letters of reference, and license and certification information. Persons applying for Case Manager, Therapist, Teacher or Educational Technician positions, must provide a copy of transcripts, including grades, from all colleges / universities attended.
Submit Application to:
Amy Bragg, Site Director
CDS Two Rivers
250 State Street
Brewer, ME 04412
Child Development Services serves the early intervention and special education needs of Maine's children birth to age five. We have over 350 employees, a large network of contracted providers and currently serve over 3,500 children ages 0 to 5 years.
CDS consist of 10 principal sites throughout Maine with several satellite offices
This posting is being offered by an equal opportunity employer.