2022-2023 School Year Opening
Hermon High School
English / Theater Arts Teacher, Grades 9 - 12
A desirable candidate will demonstrate the following:
• Holds Certification – 100S English (6-12) Endorsement, 625 Theater (PreK-12) and Criminal History Record Check
To develop in each pupil skills of listening, speaking, reading, writing and performing that are fundamental to good communication and literate citizenship; to develop appreciation of good literature of all types; to motivate pupils to read widely for information and recreation; to develop standards for critical judgment of written and oral communications transmitted by mass media; and to discover and develop special talents of pupils in the field of Theatrical Arts.
• Teaches content and skills in English language, literature, composition, reading and journalism to secondary pupils, utilizing course of study adopted by the Hermon School Committee and other appropriate learning activities.
• Instructs pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
• Adapts English material and methods to develop relevant sequential assignments that guide and challenge pupils.
• Selects and requisition books and instructional aids appropriate to the interest and maturity level of pupils; maintain required inventory records.
• Adapts the curriculum to provide individual, small-group, or remedial instruction to meet the needs of the individual pupil.
• Develops standards for critical analysis through group discussion based on a variety of mass media and classical and contemporary literature.
• Encourages pupils to think independently and to express original ideas.
• Evaluates each pupil’s progress in English skills (listening, speaking, reading, and writing).
• Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
• Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
• Communicates with parents and school counselors on pupil progress.
• Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day.
• Works with pupils and other classroom teachers in such activities as preparing material for the school newspaper or yearbook, assisting with PTA programs, or coordinating entries in essay contests.
• Administers or monitors group tests.
• Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
• Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
• Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and in self-selected professional growth activities.
• Will be a clear and effective communicator in both the written and spoken word.
Hermon School Department firmly believes in working together as a team in order to best support students.
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
Candidates should apply by submitting a teaching application Attn: Superintendent Grant: firstname.lastname@example.org.