We provide job training, free membership, 50% off programming including camp and childcare, and advancement opportunities.
Looking for a job where you can have fun AND make a difference in your community? Consider the Y!
The YMCA of Southern Maine is a charitable community organization committed to building strong communities through programs and services for all. We value diversity and inclusion, and actively work to create a safe, welcoming place for our neighbors.
Cost shared premium with Health, Dental. Employer paid Short & Long Term Disability and Life insurance, when eligible 7% employer contribution toward Retirement plan, Free Individual or Family YMCA membership, casual work environment with a culture focused on relationship building and our mission. Generous Paid Time Off Policy granted Immediately upon hire: 224 hours of PTO (prorated based on hire date), 5 days of Floating Holiday and 6 paid Holidays.
Under the direction of the Youth Development Coordinator and/or Youth Development Director, the Lead Teacher is responsible for the overall leadership, management and supervision in the classroom of the Full Day Child Care Center.
- Plan, implement and participate in programs in accordance with the policies and philosophy of the YMCA.
- Create, provide and implement an age-appropriate curriculum, activities or programs and materials that encourages all areas of development including: physical, emotional, social, cognitive, etc. Maintain professional relationships and frequent communication with all staff, parents, and schools (when applicable). Provide training to new staff when applicable.
- Encourage parent involvement through consistent, daily communication in written and verbal form on their child’s development, needs and changes.
- Completes necessary Incident and behavioral reports on students; review with parents as required. Notify Supervisor immediately of any problems or concerns.
- Creates, reviews with supervisor, posts and hands out weekly or monthly schedules, monthly calendars and monthly newsletters. If applicable, schedule all staff breaks and requests for time off.
- Coordinate with Supervisor in scheduling individual parent meetings, as well as complete student profiles and observations regularly as required.
- In conjunction with the Supervisor, ensure your classroom meets all applicable licensing
standards. If applicable, maintain and update student required documentation (records or immunizations, emergency contacts, allergies, etc.)
- Follow all HEPA and 5-2-1-0 Let’s Go guidelines regarding the Healthy Living operation of your classroom. If applicable, working within the budget plan all snacks and track for CACFP Grant and do weekly grocery shopping.
- When applicable maintain student attendance logs for Subsidy program.
- Maintain stock of supplies and notify Supervisor when supplies are needed.
- Enforce all safety rules and ensure a safe environment in the classroom.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization in the classroom and within the facility.
- Complete all work in a timely manner thoroughly and satisfactorily meeting required deadlines.
- Provide additional support for behavioral issues and fill in where needed if short staffed.
- Attend required training and meetings including, but not limited to monthly staff meetings and required training hours as determined by supervisor and DHHS/Accreditation Standards.
- Adheres to all Y Brand guidelines and receives prior approval for use and creation of any Y related social media from the Advancement department.
- Is an advocate to the Y by promoting our cause. Assists with the annual campaign by increasing awareness about the campaign within the Y community.
- Learn and actively utilize ADP Employee Portal on a consistent basis.
- Other duties as required.
- Ability to effectively communicate in person and on the phone with all levels of employees, members, parents, children and school personnel.
- Effective interpersonal skills, with a customer service focus.
- Ability to work independently as well as within teams.
- Possess attention to detail with excellent organizational and decision making skills.
- Extremely reliable, dependable, and punctual.
- Ability to take initiative and self-motivated.
- Associates degree in Child Development, Education, Social Services or related field OR be working toward CDA certificate and have a completion date.
- One year of experience working in age appropriate child care related position. Prior supervisory experience in the field desired but not required.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- CPR and First Aid Certification (within 3 months of hire).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.