MUSIC POSITION AVAILABLE FOR FALL 2018 AT THE RILEY SCHOOL, ROCKPORT MAINE
Seeking part-time energetic, dynamic, facilitator of Music for children ages 4-14. Emphasis has been on choral music in mixed age groupings meeting twice a week. Position may also include support for the Musical Theatre program for a total of 6-8 hours a week.
Because we are a “small by design,” progressive, independent, elementary school, we seek faculty members who are eager to wear more than one hat. This is a very unique position for an educator who is prepared to work in a multi-age classroom in an incredible setting, and is excited about a small teacher-student ratio. The position requires experience, flecibility and innovation in curriculum development.
Riley is a school that trusts children as learners, respects the individual and honors childhood.
From our Philosophy Statement:
Riley's education provides children with a learning environment where intellectual fulfillment, self-esteem, choice, and responsibility are continually nurtured during these critical years. We recognize the need for our teachers to know their children well and to use wisdom, sensitivity, love, and humor to build the closeness necessary for intellectual and personal growth. Academic success, affection, and trust are key ingredients in an educational environment which stimulates a child's natural love of learning. Finally, but not incidentally, Riley tries not to take itself too seriously. Knowing that laughter is a unique human gift, we support young children in gaining an enlightened and loving perspective of the human condition.
Strong applicants will have:
- Understanding of and experience facilitating a child-centered learning: interdisciplinary and project based learning
- A passion for learning and a deep respect for children as individual learners
- Skills with individualizing and customizing learning
- Flexibility and enthusiasm for being part of a small, deliberate professional learning community
- Demonstrated maturity, humility, professionalism, confidence, and a strong work ethic inside and outside the classroom
- Embrace feedback and constructive criticism in the spirit of constant improvement
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong time management skills
For our multi-aged classes, the ideal candidate will be able to:
- Collaboratively design and implement a child centered curriculum
- Utilize experiential learning techniques
- Provide ongoing feedback and assessment of a child’s cognitive and personal growth
- Incorporate community outreach into the curriculum
- Provide narrative reports to parents regarding student progress
- Bachelor’s Degree
- CPR/First Aid Certification
- Criminal Background check and fingerprinting
- Understanding of progressive learning theory and practice
- Commitment to the mission of The Riley School
- Sense of humor
Please send a cover letter, resume, statement of educational philosophy, two letters of recommendation, and list of three references to The Riley School, P.O. Box 159, Rockport, ME 04856 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be accepting applications until the position is filled, however, review of applications and interviews will begin immediately. FMI about The Riley School, please visit www.rileyschool.org and our Facebook page. The Riley School is an equal opportunity employer.