The Special Education Teacher in the Renaissance School at St. Mary's Health System, will provide and supervises provision of special educational services and other related duties under the supervision and/or direction of the Special Education Coordinator. He/She will provide education in accordance with established medical center policies and the Maine Department of Education special education regulations. They will work closely with other Special Education Teachers, as part of an inter-disciplinary team, providing care and services to students between 5 and 15 years of age.
The Renaissance School is educational and psychiatric day treatment programs for primary and middle school special education students,K-8, and is licensed by the Maine Department of Education as a "Special Purpose School". All children served are diagnosed by the sending Individualized Education Program Team as having a behavioral impairment or emotional disturbance which severely impedes their ability to receive educational services in the sending school. Additionally, all children served by the Renaissance School have a diagnosis under DSM V which necessitates psychiatric care.
- Bachelor's degree in Education
- Maine State Department of Education certification as Special Education Teacher or eligibility for provisional or conditional certification for same required
- Department of Education Criminal History Record Check required (fingerprinting)
- 1-3 years previous experience preferred
Other Skills Required:
- Ability to work well as part of an inter-disciplinary team and solid understanding of role on team
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment
- Adaptable to ever changing needs of students
- Behavioral interventions may be required for brief, but sometimes extreme, "out of control" child behaviors
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.