Ocean Avenue Elementary School
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
In support of fulfilling our Portland Promise, Portland Public Schools is seeking a highly qualified special educator at our Ocean Avenue Elementary School. The Special Education Teacher is responsible for overseeing the delivery of services in students’ Individual Education Plans and providing specialized instruction to ensure that each student progresses in meeting IEP goals. Applicant should have a strong working knowledge and experience in PBIS or similar frameworks that support students’ social/emotional growth. The ability to relate positively to students, parents, and staff is essential to this position.
Requirements: Certification as a Special Education Teacher 282
- Provide evidence-based specially designed instruction (defined as instructional activities designed to address deficits related to a student’s disability) to students with Individual Education Plans (IEP) to ensure that each student progresses in meeting the district’s learning benchmarks.
- Serve as case manager and oversee each student’s IEP, ensuring compliance with requirements in the Maine Unified Special Education Regulations-Chapter 101 including timelines related to the IEP process and IEP development.
- Consult with regular education teachers on a regular basis regarding educational needs, accommodations and modifications.
- Collaborate with related service providers (speech therapists, OT, PT, social workers, etc.
- Administer academic achievement assessments for initial referrals and triennial reviews.
- Attend meetings, professional development and in-service training.