Maine Virtual Academy is looking for a Special Education Teacher for grades 7-12, who is seeking to grow his/her career in a virtual education setting and can start August 2019. We have an excellent training program for teachers new to teaching in a virtual school. The Special Education teacher at MEVA works with students through the virtual classroom to provide instruction based on each students individual IEP goals. They are also required to attend IEP meetings and write IEP's. Applicants must be very comfortable and skilled with utilizing technology. This is not a work from home position. This position requires the ability to teach from the school location in Augusta, Maine, Monday through Friday 8am to 4pm throughout the school year.
- Conducts assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of students for the purpose of identifying learning issues, and recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to overcome issues and maximize learning.
- Participates in student IEP team and assists in developing Individual Educational Plans ("IEP") for students.
- Assists students and teaching staff in implementing students' IEP's .
- Coordinates with outside agencies, organizations and institutions, including state and federal authorities as needed.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs,
- Serves as ready resource to students and parents to provide consultation to families that will lead each student to increased personal growth, self-understanding, and behavioral management; serves as liaison between home and school.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings as assigned by head of school.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- State Certification as a Special Education Teacher (282) or ability to get a provisional or conditional special education certification.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university.
- Current State CRHC certification.
- Successful prior special education teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred but not required
We offer an excellent benefit package including medical insurance, dental, vision, life insurance, and short term and long-term disability insurance. Our employees participate in the Maine State retirement plan.
To apply submit the following documents to Dr. Melinda Browne, Head of School at email@example.com
- Current certification
- Copy of college transcripts
- 3 letters of reccomendations
Maine Virtual Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.