RESIDENT CAMP DIRECTOR
Camp Name: The Bangor YMCA Wilderness Center at Camp Jordan
Camp Location: Ellsworth, Maine
Camp Description: The Bangor YMCA Wilderness Center at Camp Jordan is a residential camp perfectly situated on 200 acres along the shores of Branch Lake approximately 30 minutes from the Bangor YMCA in Bangor, Maine and 45 minutes from Acadia National Park. The Wilderness Center is an ACA accredited resident camp with 106 years of camping history, the capacity to serve 150 overnight campers and is surrounded by the breathtaking woodlands and lakes traditional to the state of Maine. For more information, please visit www.campjordan.org.
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides year-round, full-time, on-site oversight, administration and day-to-day implementation of high quality programming for the Bangor YMCA Wilderness Center at Camp Jordan including, but not limited to: overnight youth camping, family camping, adventure -based team building , outdoor adventure tripping, leadership development, conference programming, year-round retreat programs and community special events.
- Manages, directs and coordinates all Wilderness Center programming. Ensures high quality programs and establishes new program opportunities in alignment with the YMCA three pillars: Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
- Responsible for the development and management of the annual camp budget, as well as working closely with the CEO and Director of Development in the area of fund development and donor relations.
- Oversee the management of the entire camp property including maintenance, food service, staff housing, cabins, bathhouses, health center, camp roads, camp vehicles, waterfront, maintenance shed, ropes course program store and overall camp environment.
- Directly responsible for camper recruitment and retention with the assurance of high quality youth-focused camp programs.
- Responsible for cultivation of relationships to build alumni development.
- Expands programs within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- Recruits, hires, trains and develops the best possible staff team, evaluates the performance of all employees, counsels them according to a continuous improvement process and performance standards.
- Responsible for the continued development, implementation, growth and evaluation of all assigned camp programs to include Weekend/Conference Program, Summer Camp, Family Camps, Banquets, and other rentals and programs as developed.
- Assures compliance with ACA and YMCA program standards are met and safety procedures are current, practiced, and followed.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of Wilderness Center program information, including timely and accurate submissions to the Marketing team. Organizes and schedules program registrations, distributes fliers and attends community expos /out of state camp fairs.
- Demonstrates ability to interact with the youth attending the programs, their parents and/or guardians and counselors in direct management of youth programming.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events that will support the Ys effort to include all children in camp experiences.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in programs.
- Accepts other duties as deemed appropriate within the scope of this job description.
- Highly flexible schedule with varying hours including working evenings and weekends.
- Possibility of living year round, onsite at the Wilderness Center at Camp Jordan.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
- Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
- Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
- Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
- Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Minimum age of 25
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum), Master’s preferred plus previous YMCA resident camp experience.
- Minimum 5-7 years of successful leadership/supervisory experience.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven history of leadership in the areas of staff development, fundraising, outdoor program planning, budget development, camp accreditation and licensing.
- Previous management experience according to ACA standards.
- Child Abuse Prevention, CPR, Blood Bourne Pathogens, First Aid and AED certifications required within 30 days of employment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise program activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
Salary: Dependent on qualifications.
Additional Compensation Details: The Bangor YMCA rewards dedicated employees by offering an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, retirement options, a generous time off package and professional development opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit resume, cover letter and a minimum of three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes until: October 30, 2017