Lead Teacher, 0–3-year-old classroom
If you are viewing this listing on a third-party website, please visit our Careers page at https://www.opportunityalliance.org/careers/ to apply.
The Opportunity Alliance is seeking a full time Lead Teacher- 0-3-year old to join our Early Head Start program in the Infant Toddler classroom at our East End location in Portland. Head Start promotes the school readiness of young children from low-income families through local programs. Head Start and Early Head Start programs support the mental, social, and emotional development of children from birth to age 5.
The Lead Teacher, 0-3 year old is responsible for providing and overseeing a safe, nurturing, and stimulating learning environment, primarily in a center-based classroom, for the overall growth and development of children & families in accordance with the Family and Early Childhood Education program plan, the TOA/Public School Memorandum of Understanding, Head Start Performance Standards, State of Maine licensing rules, and NAEYC Accreditation Standards.
This is a full-time, 40 hours/week position based in one of our Portland classrooms.
- An Infant/Toddler Child Development Associate (CDA) credential and have been trained (or have equivalent coursework) in early childhood development with a focus on infant and toddler development, required.
- An associate, baccalaureate or advanced degree in early childhood education or; an associate degree in a field related to early childhood education and coursework equivalent to a major relating to early childhood education or; a baccalaureate or advanced degree in any field and coursework equivalent to a major relating to early childhood education preferred.
- 1-3 years of supervisory experience preferred
- 2-4 years of center-based teaching, early intervention, home visiting or community-based work related to infants/toddlers & their families preferred.
- Knowledge of the important role that culture plays in child & family development
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with complex information to address challenging situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with teams.
- Commitment to social justice and the mission of Head Start.
- Driving is an essential and regular part of daily position responsibilities. A valid driver’s license and good driving record is required.
- All candidates must pass an extensive criminal background check, child protective services and sex offender check and must not be on the state or federal suspension and disbarment list.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment physical and TB screen and must be current on MMR and TDAP immunizations.
- Must be able to exert significant physical effort with frequent standing, walking, reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, typing and frequently lift and carry small children or material weighing up to 25 pounds.
Pay is competitive and based on experience and education. The Opportunity Alliance has an extensive benefit package including:
- Generous paid time off
- 9 paid holidays per calendar year and up to 3 floating holidays per calendar year
- Excellent medical benefits at very reasonable cost
- Dental and Vision insurance options
- Agency paid basic life insurance and STD & LTD disability insurances
- 403(b) retirement with a generous agency match
Why Work for TOA?
The Opportunity Alliance works with people to build better lives and stronger communities. We provide advocacy, leadership, and support to identify the goals and address the needs of individuals, families, and communities.
The Opportunity Alliance (TOA) is a multi-service, comprehensive, high impact organization providing 46 integrated community based and clinical programs serving more than 20,000 people annually throughout the state of Maine.
TOA tackles some of our community’s most pressing problems: poverty, homelessness, mental illness, substance use, and domestic violence. Our programming draws from a wide range of resources, blending evidence-based practices with practical experience and community resources.
The Opportunity Alliance is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are viewing this posting on a third -party site, please visit our website at https://www.opportunityalliance.org/careers/ to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume along with your application.