WHEN (pending additional school snow days)
June 17-June 22, 2018 Staff Training
June 24-August 3, 2018 Summer Program
The TRIO Upward Bound programs are federally funded programs designed to support college aspirations of high school students. The programs offer an intensive six-week residential program at the University of Maine. The program mission is “to provide fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves: high school students from low-income families; and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor’s degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.” (U.S. Department of Education)
The residential team seeks to help students make a successful transition to college living. A Resident Director, Nurse, six Resident Counselors (RC's), Hall Manager, and Student Services Coordinator staff the Residence Hall and work together to ensure that the social, emotional and academic needs of each student are met. The Resident Director and Resident Counselor positions are full time, residential, temporary positions that require staff to live in program housing while the Hall Manager, Nurse, and Student Services Coordinator positions do NOT provide housing and board.
Applicants must have completed at least three years of college and currently be in good academic standing. Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Experience as a residential advisor or camp counselor
- Experience working with low-income, first-generation-to-college students
- TRIO background
- Approximately $2800 for seven weeks of employment
- PLUS FREE ROOM and BOARD for the Resident Director and Resident Counselors (board is provided during staff training week and while students are in residence)
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete an online application at http://umaine.edu/ub/want-to-work-with-ubms/
- Current UMaine students, please apply for Summer Work-Study by April 7 with UM Student Employment or at 2018 Summer Work-study Application. While eligibility for summer work-study funds is not required for employment, it does help us.
- Priority deadline is March 1st. However, applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Contact the UB Office at 1-800-581-2522 or email Nikita.firstname.lastname@example.org or Rebecca.email@example.com