Position: BUSINESS MANAGER
Fiddlehead School of Arts & Sciences, located in Gray, Maine, is one of Maine’s first approved Public Charter Schools. Opening in 2013 with 41 students in pre-k to grade 2, Fiddlehead School has grown in each of the last six years and will serve over 145 students in pre-k to grade 6 in the Fall of 2019. The school practices a child-centered educational philosophy inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach to learning. By design, the physical and open space environment of the school promotes project-based and hands-on-learning.
Fiddlehead School seeks a Business Manager who will oversee and manage the financial and human resource activities of the school. The Business Manager will work under the supervision of the Executive Director and as a member of the School’s administrative team. The position will ideally start early to mid-July 2019. The position follows our administration team schedule and includes time off during school vacations with the expectation to work a total of 218 days.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration or related field
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel, QuickBooks, Word, and GAAP standards
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail as appropriate, while still being able to execute and handle multiple priorities
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Familiarity with MDOE regulations and reporting
- Human Resources experience
- Positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Master’s Degree in business administration or related field; or equivalent experience
- Experience in a school setting
- Experience in ESEA Titles I, II, IV & VI (SRSA)
- Experience preparing budgets for grant proposals
- Experience in grant funded and special project accounting
- Supervisory experience
And/or such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board & Executive Director may find appropriate and acceptable.
The Business Manager will be responsible for the financial, regulatory and personnel affairs of the School. The Business Manager will work closely with and under the supervision of the Executive Director to develop and maintain systems for managing and monitoring the School’s expenses and revenues; for regularly preparing and reporting to the Board, the MDOE and other regulatory agencies; and for managing the personnel and payroll systems.
- Maintain and manage the School’s financial systems and controls using accounting procedures that conform to state regulations (Grants, Capital Campaigns, etc.)
- Oversee the schools’ electronic and hard copy record keeping systems to assure records are current, accurate, safe, and readily available
- Oversee accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Prepare monthly income and expenditure statements; cash flow and budget variance reports, and review the detailed transactions within those reports for accuracy and completeness
- Prepare drafts of the annual budget. Develop revenue and expense estimates based on assumptions provided by the MDOE, ED and the Finance Committee
- Communicate with MDOE to confirm revenue estimates and other requirements for budget preparation
- Oversee and manage the maintenance and use of the school buses, property and facilities
- Work with benefits broker to provide health insurance and other employee eligible benefits
- Responsible for site level procurement of supplies, materials, equipment, and inventory management
- Act as the local manager for transportation, facilities maintenance, security, third-party service contracts, and also ensures ongoing monitoring and implementation of contracts
- Coordinate technology implementation (planning, procurement, and training)
- Work with school personnel to maintain the integrity and accuracy of student records, including maintenance and tracking of attendance and retention
- Work with school staff to manage reporting and data tracking for all Special Education programs
- Support all operational and logistical projects for start-up operations should the need arise
- Respond to and resolve routine internal and external inquiries with parents, employees, and school organizations
- Maintain a thorough data reporting system for the completion of financial and other reports required by the Federal, State, Maine State Charter Commission and local governing agencies
- Prepare documents in support of audits and other financial reporting requirements
- Manage day to day activities of designated non-instructional staff
- Implement policies & procedures at school (e.g., compensation, vacation/personal days; recruitment screening, background checks, etc.)
- Oversee the processing of all new hire paperwork
- Lead/continue to develop an orientation for new hires
- Maintain personnel files for all employees
- Oversee bi-weekly payroll
- Monitor and research staff compensation arrangements
- Lead annual performance reviews for non-instructional staff
- Health Insurance
- Professional Development
- Supportive Work Environment
Deadline to submit: July 22nd. This position begins as soon as the qualified & selected candidate is found.
If you are interested in this position, please respond directly to Jacinda Cotton-Castro with a narrative about yourself, your experience and leadership capabilities. We invite your detailed and personalized response. Please also include a résumé.
Mail or email to:
Fiddlehead School of Arts & Sciences
25 Shaker Road
Gray, Maine 04039
Attn: Jacinda J. Cotton-Castro
Fiddlehead School provides equal employment opportunities (EOE) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
MDOE Criminal History Records Check