- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF CLASSIFICATION: Portland Public Schools is looking for a dedicated, reliable person who is interested in becoming career school bus drivers. We will provide 30 hours weekly of employment, full-time benefits, and on-the-job training so that you are fully prepared to obtain your Class B Commercial Driver’s License within six months of hire.
During your six months as a Bus Driver Trainee, you will split your time between providing Bus Assistant services, providing Van Driver services, and learning how to inspect, pre-trip, maintain, and safely operate a 15-ton school bus filled with precious cargo. Once you obtain a bus driver’s license, you will transition into a career bus driver position, and you will be assigned your own route. Overtime pay for career bus drivers -- field trips, athletic trips, etc. -- is usually plentiful.
- As a Bus Assistant, you will support special education students during transport to and from school and/or special activities; you will ensure orderly entering and leaving of all bus patrons; you will maintain assigned seats of riders; and you will ensure the safety and sanitation of assigned vehicles.
- As a Van Driver, you will be responsible for the proper pick-up, transport, and discharge of students along assigned routes and on sanctioned athletic, field, or other special trips; you will also inspect, perform minor maintenance, and clean your assigned vehicle.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Holds valid Maine driver’s license.
- Twenty-one (21) years of age, and has had license for a minimum of 3 years.
- Prior experience as a van driver is preferred.
- 6 months to get a valid Class B CDL with passenger and student endorsement.