Interested in a job where you can make a difference? Be outside all summer? Work with children? Receive a Free membership? 25% off programming including camp and childcare?
Looking for a job where you can have fun AND make a difference in your community?
The YMCA of Southern Maine is a charitable community organization committed to building strong communities through programs and services for all. We value diversity and inclusion, and actively work to create a safe, welcoming place for our neighbors.
The YMCA of Southern Maine is seeking Camp Counselors to join our camp team for Summer 2020.
Hours: M-F, 30-40 hours weekly (part-time and full-time opportunities available).
The Camp Ropes Course Specialist will be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of their program area. The incumbent will possess experience, knowledge and applicable certification in Climbing, High & Low Ropes Course Management & Teambuilding skills. Additionally, the incumbent should also have experience and knowledge in the areas of youth leadership skills and development, public relations, and experience working with children ages 4 - 16 years old.
1. Overall responsibility of assigned activity area. Responsible for the successful day to day operations related to safety, equipment and supply management, related paperwork and program delivery.
2. Provide leadership and facilitation group program/activities which is consistent with the YMCA mission, goals, and objectives of the YMCA of Southern Maine.
3. Conduct a safe, quality, and age-appropriate group camp experience for your group.
4. In cooperation with the Youth Development Director or Coordinator, fully plan and implement quality activities in your program area that foster a sense of achievement and belonging for all campers.
5. Must attend all required staff training to become completely familiar with the camping goals, programs, camp personnel policies, safety procedures, skills and protocol necessary to accomplish the specified position.
6. Participate in general planning and staff meetings.
7. Have a proven working knowledge of all sign-in/sign-out procedures and the ability to effectively communicate with parents.
8. Be responsible for the health and safety of each camper; as well as serve as a counselor during times of in which you are not leading activities to ensure proper ratios are met.
9. Be a positive adult role model for campers through good work habits, enthusiasm, good attitude, adherence to camp personnel policies, and safety rules.
10. Assist each camper in adjusting to the camp environment, and allow him/her to grow in individual achievements and peer group interactions.
11. Assist in camp assemblies, family nights, all-camp activities, overnights, and special events as assigned by the Youth Development Director.
12. Ensure all camp programs are modeling Y-USA’s Healthy Eating Physical Activity (HEPA) standards and are modeling these standards with campers.
13. Keep group & programs areas safe, clean, and orderly.
14. Complete session evaluations and season evaluations as requested by the Youth Development Director or Coordinator.
15. Other duties as required.
-Minimum age of 16 years.
-Copy of necessary certifications and/or training certificates.
-Previous Camp Counseling, Youth Activity Facilitation or equivalent experience.
-Experience, knowledge, certification and ability to teach/supervise campers in Climbing/Teambuilding.
-First Aid & CPR Certification. (Within 30 days of Hire)