- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
Student Support Services Coordinator
In support of fulfilling our Portland Promise, Portland Public Schools is seeking a highly qualified candidate to serve as a Student Support Services Coordinator. Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director of Student Support Services, the Student Support Services Coordinator is a district-wide teacher leader position serving to support, consult, and facilitate processes in Portland Public Schools for students with exceptionalities.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- As part of Child Find, facilitate the process and procedures for special education referral, initial identification, ordering assessments, gathering essential data necessary for IEP meetings for the schools in which they serve.
- Facilitate and lead Initial Eligibility meetings as the LEA representative in collaboration with the building level administrator.
- Serve as the LEA representative in times of need.
- Coordinate with building-based liaisons and school leadership teams to meet the needs of students/staff.
- Provide consultation as necessary in the development and implementation of IEPs and Section 504 accommodation plans.
- Ensure accuracy and timeliness of all required documentation associated with the development of Individualized Education Plans in collaboration with Special Education Liaisons and Special Education Case Managers.
- Provide consultation and collaborate on professional development for special education staff.
- Collaborate with School Psychologists, Speech and Language Clinicians, Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists on assessment timelines and schedules for compliance with initial referral rules.
- Serve as the coordinator for students with disabilities attending private school in Portland.
- Serve on the Student Support Services leadership team.
- Model and encourage integrity and ethical conduct while advocating for students’ rights for access to equitable opportunities in the Portland Public Schools.
- Perform all other tasks as assigned by the Director and Assistant Director of Student Support Services.
- Participate in (5) additional work days and additional leadership activities as part of the level B stipend.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of IDEA, the Maine Department of Education, and Portland Public Schools (PPS) policies, regulations, and procedures related to the education of students with exceptionalities.
- Ability to collect, analyze, and interpret data relative to student learning.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Excellent skills in oral and written communication, organization, and interpersonal skills.
- Technology skills that support the position.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in special education, Master’s degree preferred
- Three (3) years of successful teaching in special education.
- Two (2) years of demonstrated teacher leadership experience
- Other combinations of applicable education, training, and experience which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position may be considered.
CERTIFICATE AND LICENSE REQUIREMENTS:
Meets Maine state certification as Special Education Teacher 282 or 286. Website:https://www.maine.gov/doe/cert/application
Master’s Degree in Education, Special Education, or 035 (Asst Director) preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: N/A
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OVERTIME ELIGIBLE: No – School Year Position per Portland Education Association contract plus additional leadership responsibilities
Portland Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.