To Apply: www.lewistonpublicschools.org
- Cover letter
- Gaps in employment
- BHP certification
- Ed Tech III Maine certification
Salary Range: $16.34 - $21.35
SUMMARY: Assists Special Education Teacher in delivery of educational services indicated in students Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and Positive Behavioral Support Plan (PBSP) within RISE/Day Treatment programs operated by Lewiston Public Schools.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Other duties may be assigned.
- Able to facilitate 1:1, 1:2 and small group instruction while meeting the needs of complex learners.
This includes all academic and social opportunities throughout the day. Examples of this are any and all academic instruction and include other areas throughout a student's day such as lunch, recess, hallway transitions, and breaks with peers and transportation. Essentially this means that a RISE/DT Ed. Tech is always with their student(s), unless otherwise indicated by the IEP and/or Special Education Teacher direction.
- Able to implement and follow an IEP and PBSP.
Responsible to implement de-escalation strategies throughout the day
- Assist with setup of classroom, individual student area, and prepares materials for specialized instruction.
- Collect relevant data and data entry.
- Assist in assembling/hanging materials on bulletin boards and keeping displays current as requested.
- Operates standard school equipment such as computer, laminator, copier, audiovisual, etc.
- Responsible for following day-to-day schedule of students
- The nature of 1:1 and other direct services in RISE/DT, by nature demand staff’s constant attention. This includes but not limited to:
- refraining from cell phone use, except during personal breaks
- being mindful of clothing choice worn on a daily basis (i.e. employees must wear closed-toe shoes)
- following precautions set forth in PBSP and by Sped / BCBA/Clinician direction
- keeping calm in unforeseen circumstances being thoughtful of variables that may, or may not maintain challenging behavior.
- Because of the nature of the services we provide to our students, teamwork is imperative. Good teamwork starts with professional communication skills that facilitate a safe and structured environment for students and staff.
Any written communication should be legible, professional and with the best interest of students in mind.
Feedback may be delivered in many different methods during the day. Feedback should always be intended as a tool to improve one’s skill and/or increase job knowledge.
Directions and Recommendations given by Special Education Teacher, BCBA, Clinician, and school administration should be followed through with to the greatest extent possible.
Communication between Ed. Techs should be appropriate to the environment and audience which surrounds them.
Instruction in RISE/DT classroom with Special Education Teacher with 1:1, 1:2 and small groups in RISE/DT and General Education classrooms as indicated.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PREVIOUS EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Three years postsecondary education and/or the accumulation of 90 credit hours of approved study in a related area. (For vocational education three years of work experience in the field.)
- This is essential for Education Technician III certification required by Maine DOE.
- This is also required for (School Based) Behavioral Health Professional (BHP) certification.