2022-2023 School Year Opening
Hermon Middle School
Social Studies Teacher (Grades 6 -8)
A desirable candidate will demonstrate the following:
• Holds Certification – Social Studies (5-8) Endorsement and Criminal History Record Check
To develop in each pupil an appreciation of American ideals and cultural heritage; to develop proficiency in the use of social studies inquiry skills and concepts; to motivate each pupil to understand and exercise the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of citizenship; to develop understanding of world regions; and to encourage pupils to develop sound opinions based on study of facts concerning operation of political and economic systems.
1. Teaches courses in social studies, history, geography, American government, political science or humanities to secondary pupils, using the course of study adopted by the Hermon School Committee and other appropriate learning activities.
2. Instructs pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
3. Develops a balanced social studies program involving factual background material, material on current events, discussion time, and other appropriate activities designed to encourage pupils to develop skills and attitudes, draw conclusions, achieve improved interpersonal relationships, and make value judgments based on scientific methods of inquiry.
4. Provides individual and small-group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of pupils with varying intellectual abilities, attitudes, and cultural backgrounds.
5. Develops knowledge of the purpose, structure, and operation of the American governmental and economic system, and the rights and responsibilities of American citizenship.
6. Makes current material from the mass-media available to pupils; plans and guides discussion of current problems against background of geographical environment and history of area being studied.
7. Develops an understanding of the contributions of racial, religious, and political groups to American culture.
8. Develops knowledge of political and economic systems of other nations and their influence on personal freedom, education, and living standards.
9. Encourages pupils to become aware of the complexity and interrelations of local, state, national, and world problems.
10. Maintains standards of pupil behavior to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
11. Maintains professional competence through in-service education.
12. Selects and requisitions books and instructional aids and maintains required inventory records; may request resources, speakers, and field trips.
13. Communicate with parents and school counselors to discuss pupil progress.
14. Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
15. Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities as assigned.
16. Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
17. Participates in faculty committees and sponsorship of pupil activities.
18. Will be a clear and effective communicator in both the written and spoken word
Hermon School Department firmly believes in working together as a team in order to best support students.
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
Candidates should apply by submitting a teaching application attention Superintendent Micah Grant, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.