Athletic Grounds Coordinator
The Gorham School department has an immediate opening for an Athletic Grounds Coordinator. Under the general direction of the Athletic Director, this working position performs and oversees all aspects of sports turf agronomy, horticulture and development/ established landscaping for Gorham’s outdoor athletic facilities; manages crews engaged in sports field maintenance and other related operations; establishes and solidifies customer relationships by providing outstanding customer service to the public, town of Gorham and Gorham School Department. Primary responsibilities include:
- Responsible for managing and maintain sports fields and facilities including: athletic fields (natural or synthetic surfaces); field management equipment; irrigation systems; athletic facility grounds and landscaping; tennis courts, running track, and other sports and recreational facilities; and coordination with outside groups on sports field lighting, sound systems, concessions stand, bathrooms and other buildings.
- Over sight of turf care and grounds maintenance; fertilizer application; pest and disease management, identification, and control; game and event preparation; and maintaining sports fields according to regulations.
- Directs the activities of, and works along side, turf and grounds maintenance crews engaged in the maintenance and repair of outdoor athletic facilities, grounds and related equipment.
- Coordinates with administrative and finance staff to effectively manage related business operations including, but not limited to: scheduling fields and facilities, vendor contracts, rental agreements, and purchasing.
- Tracks pertinent data and maintains appropriate records of work performed using computer systems and software.
- Creates and maintains a master field maintenance schedule reflecting planned maintenance, scheduled improvement initiatives, and availability. Establishes a resting rotation schedule in order to provide time for fields to rest and for the maintenance crew to provide targeted care and restoration cycles to the fields.
- Takes and active role in the preparation and administration of the outdoor athletic facilities budget: prepare budget requests; prepare requisitions for supplies, services, materials, and parts; perform pest control measures; and monitor expenses.
- Manages inventory and oversees the total preventative maintenance and replacement programs for related equipment, including long-term capital planning.
- Accurately estimates time and materials required for repair and maintenance.
- Oversees and acts as a point of contact for the construction, renovation and/or reconstruction of outdoor sports facilities, whether performed in-house or by outside contractors.
- Communicates regularly with stakeholders and members of the management team, including GHS Athletic Director and coaches, to discuss activities, goals and plans, render professional advice and opinions, and to solicit user input to ensure continual quality improvements of services to the community.
- Ensures crew follows safe work practices and procedures. Performs safety checks on equipment.
- Attends related continuing education and training opportunities, including seminars, workshops, web based training courses and trade shows
High school diploma, or equivalent, required. Associates degree in Turfgrass Management or Horticulture preferred long with a minimum of (5) years’ experience in athletic field maintenance with prior supervisory responsibilities. State of Maine Master Pesticide Applicator license required, or the ability to obtain one within 6-month period. Certified Sports Field Manager (CSFM) certification is desirable. Any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Requirements of Work include:
Must be able to work a year-round flexible schedule depending on programming needs, community events and weather. Must be available to attend periodic athletic functions, which may take place on nights and/or weekends.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs safely without assistance.
- Ability to effectively manage workload in order to meet strict deadlines while maintaining, and/or exceeding, expectations of quality.
- Thorough understanding of the sports governing body’s requirements for field layout and markings.
- Mechanical/practical background in equipment purchase, maintenance and repair.
- Ability to operate all equipment used in the course of grounds maintenance operations.
- Knowledge of rotary and reel mowers, irrigation system management and repair experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with town departments, school department, the public, private groups, supervisors and employees while maintaining a satisfactory output.
- Must possess a valid Class C driver’s license with a clean driving record.
If interested, please submit cover letter, resume, 3 written letters of reference and CHRC by going to http://gorhamschools.org/, click on Human Resources, Employment Opportunities, follow the application link. Only complete applications will be considered. Applications close when a suitable candidate has been selected. EOE