The Maine Educational Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing/Gov. Baxter School for the Deaf (MECDHH/GBSD) seeks to fill a full time, 185-day Elementary School Teacher of the Deaf position. This position supports and provides the education of students who require direct instruction via Spoken Language (per the child’s IEP goals) as well as classroom supports and consultation services.
Job Description: This position is responsible for providing instruction and support to our children in the K-5 program. This position will be responsible for:
- Developing weekly lesson plans, progress reports and documentation.
- Collaborating with building level regular education staff, related service providers and other service agencies as appropriate.
- Participating in a strong collaborative Deaf and Hard of Hearing team.
- Co-Teaching and Team teaching, where applicable.
- Supporting listening and spoken language skills within a regular education classroom
- Integrating classroom instruction with the school’s curriculum (aligned with the Maine’s Learning Results, Early Learning guidelines and Common Core)
- Differentiated Instruction
- Formative/Summative assessment to determine educational levels
- Developing and implementing Individual Education Plans (IEP’s)
- Evaluating & reporting on student progress toward IEP goals
- Communicating with parents and staff about student progress and classroom activities
- Making all work and student-related decisions within the parameters of school policies, guidelines and state and federal regulation.
- Building professional practice and interactions based upon effective assessment and instructional methods for teaching D/HH students.
- Supervising Educational Technicians (paraprofessionals).
- Educational background in Deaf Education.
- Experience collaborating with other professionals and families.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team of professionals.
- Certification or eligibility for Teacher of the Deaf (292) certification.
- Experience in supporting listening and spoken language skills of students.
- Elementary Education experience preferred.
- Fluency in American Sign Language preferred.
- Must pass Maine Dept. of Education fingerprint and background check (CHRC).
We offer an excellent benefit package including participation in the Maine Public Employees Retirement System, generous paid sick and personal time and health/dental insurance.
If interested in applying for this position, please click the APPLY link next to the Elementary Level Teacher of the Deaf listing on our Career Opportunities website page (https://www.mecdhh.org/professionals/career-opportunities)
PLEASE NOTE: Employment cannot be finalized until the applicant has completed the requirements for a background check and fingerprints as required by Maine State Statute.
We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings.