Position: Special Education Teacher - Immediate Opening
Fiddlehead School of Arts and Sciences is one of Maine’s first approved public charter schools. We are located in Gray, Maine, and serve students grades Pre-K through seventh grade, Fall 2020.
Fiddlehead is committed to the growth and development of the whole child: socially, emotionally, physically, academically, intellectually, and artistically. The goal of a Fiddlehead Education is for students to build a toolbox of habits, skills, and wonderings to drive a lifelong love of learning. We aim to empower learners to seek answers to their own questions and to develop the means necessary for this endeavor.
COVID RESPONSE: We are following all DOE/CDC guidelines, and we are a small school by design so we can stay focused on our students and staff. Our daily hybrid classroom sizes will be around 10 students. We also have contracted with local landowners, and plan to be outside with our students as much as possible. Check out our website at: www.fiddleheadschool.org to see if we are a fit for your philosophy!
Description & Responsibilities:
We are looking for a Special Education Teacher, with substantial progressive teaching experience at the K - 8 level and who can supervise a resource room as well as push in when appropriate. This position will design and implement behavior plans, teach self-regulation and pro-social skills, support academic learning, work with a team using the PBIS model to provide safe and successful classroom experience for all students. This position will report to and coordinate with the Special Education Director.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Maine Teacher Certification 282
- At least 2 years of classroom teaching experience
- At least 2 years of experience working with students with behavioral needs
- PBIS experience
- Supervisory experience
- Safety Care Trainer - a plus
- Emergent curriculum, expeditionary and/or Reggio Emilia experience – a plus
- Responsible for providing direct and explicit instruction to meet the individual needs of students with an emphasis on inclusive practices through the delivery of small group and individualized support
- Responsible for supervising BHP/educational technician support staff
- Design and implement instruction to meet Individual Education Plans in regular and special education settings, primarily in the areas of academics, behavior and self-regulation
- Teach and support instruction of social skills curriculum
- Design and implement behavior intervention plans and model behavior management interventions
- Implement and advise accommodations/modification in classroom instruction
- Participate in annual training in seclusion and restraint skills
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and training workshops to maintain and improve professional competence
- Model professional behavior in accordance with job responsibilities, policies and procedures, and the expectations of professionals working in a collaborative community
- Build and maintain a safe, fair, and respectful learning environment that celebrates the joy of learning
- Develop constructive partnerships with families by initiating and maintaining consistent communication
- Monitor student progress and participate in review and revision of Individual Education Plans (IEPs), as appropriate
- Competitive salary
- Professional development training necessary to complete the tasks
- Supportive work environment
This position begins as soon as candidate is found.
If you are interested in this position, please respond directly to Jacinda Cotton-Castro, with your cover letter and resume.
Fiddlehead School provides equal employment opportunities (EOE) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Maine State Law requires ALL school employees to be fingerprinted and pass a Criminal History Record Check (CHRC). A copy of your CHRC MUST be uploaded as part of your application to be considered.