Maine Educational Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing/Gov. Baxter School for the Deaf (MECDHH/GBSD) is seeking a full time, 185-day High School Teacher position for MECDHH/GBSD students attending Portland High School.
This is professional education work in teaching/supporting/case managing deaf and hard of hearing high school students. The teacher in this position is responsible for the following:
- Integrates classroom instruction with the school’s curriculum, which is aligned with Maine’s Learning Results
- Provides specialized instructions as per required by the IEP
- Provides case management for students
- Provides testing to determine educational levels
- Maintains ongoing formal and informal assessment for the purpose of reporting on student progress toward Individual Education Plan (IEP) goals
- Develops and implements Individual Education Plans
- Instructs specific classes
- Communicates with parents, colleagues, administrators and other professionals regarding student progress
- Monitors and manages classroom behavior
- Collaborates with the staff of Portland High School to implement student IEPs
- All work decisions are made within school policies, protocols and guidelines and guided by the principles and best practices of the teaching profession.
- Bachelors Degree (Master’s degree in Deaf Education preferred)
- Evidence of sufficient coursework for meeting the needs of HS deaf students
- Special Education Coursework preferred or willingness to expand knowledge base
- Fluency in American Sign Language
- Ability to implement bilingual techniques
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team of professionals
- Knowledge of the language acquisition process and child development for high school aged students
- Knowledge of best curriculum, assessment and instructional practices for deaf and hard of hearing students at the high school level
- Maine Teacher of the Deaf certification or eligibility for certification as a Teacher of the Deaf in Maine
- C.E.D. certification preferred, not required
- Maine endorsement in ELA preferred
- HS Special Education endorsement (282) or eligibility preferred.
We offer an excellent benefit package including participation in the Maine Public Employees Retirement System, generous paid sick and personal time and health/dental insurance.
If interested in applying for this position, please click the APPLY link next to the High School Teacher of the Deaf listing on our Career Opportunities website page.
PLEASE NOTE: Employment cannot be finalized until the applicant has completed the requirements for a background check and fingerprints as required by Maine state statute.
We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings.