The Camp Counselor/ Health Officer is responsible for assisting program directors in facilitating and supporting camp programming and the overall camp experience for day campers ages 5-16 years old. The Health Officer is responsible for assisting with the direct oversight and quality delivery of all camp health services, safe distribution of staff/camper medication, and responding to emergency situation that may occur to staff/campers.
- Provide Medical care up to level of certification for campers and staff as needed.
- Provide exceptional customer service to contribute to positive experiences for all Y members and guests.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of camp activities including High Ropes, Sports, Field Games, Arts & Crafts and Performing Arts.
- Contribute to the collaborative planning of the overall camp schedule including theme days and rainy day programming.
- Provide an energetic, creative, inclusive, fun and safe camp environment supporting the exceptional camper experience.
- Provide constant and direct supervision over campers and camp activities in support of safety and a dynamic and positive camp experience.
- Coordinate, inventory, organize and maintain of all necessary camp program supplies.
- Maintain the cleanliness and safety standards of all camp program areas.
- Facilitate behavioral discipline or rewards according to the guidelines set forth in training document this in parent reports and camp incident reports.
- Build effective, authentic relationships with participants and / or parents; help them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourage program involvement and identify potential volunteers.
- Model relationship-building skills and the YMCA core values of respect, responsibility, honesty and caring in all interactions.
- Communicate member concerns, community inquiries and complaints to supervisor in a timely manner.
- Positively represent the YMCA through professional conduct and appearance.
- Follow all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Complete incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Must have experience in camping, recreation or related field and enjoy working with youth ages 5-16 y
- Must be able to read and follow general instructions.
- Capable of working under pressure and adapting to new situations.
- Must possess strong communication skills.
- CPR / First Aid / AED certification
- Must have a current certification as one of the following:
Physician, Physician Assistant, Registered Nurse, Licensed Practical Nurse, Emergency Medical Technician, or Holder of a Wilderness First Responder certificate.
Must have sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to supervise program activities.