The School-Age Program Director is a creative, fun and inspirational leader who is excited to oversee a high quality, values-based program for children age kindergarten through 6th grade that is in full compliance with state licensing regulations, is evidence-based and impactful. The Director oversees on-and-off site programs, is deeply involved in programming and staff supervision, and is a great communicator with children and adults. The Director understands Before and After School is a critically important, mission-driven program that is key to helping school age children succeed in life. The Director emphasizes the importance of living and teaching the YMCA’s core values of honesty, respect, caring and responsibility.
Fundamental accountabilities are managing the day-to-day duties of running a regional, multi-site program that cares for 250+ children, ongoing staff and site supervision, safety and licensing compliance, fiscal management, curriculum development, program evaluation, and assisting the YMCA in its efforts to establish sustainable funding streams for the program such as grants.
- Manages a multi-site School-age Program for 250+ children with sites in Bangor and throughout the region.
- Is a hands-on leader with deep involvement in programming, curriculum development, evaluation and oversight.
- Manages, trains and inspires staff at all program sites.
- Is an organized multi-tasker with the ability to deal with families from all walks of life in a way that reflects YMCA values.
- Is fun, creative, inspiring, calm and patient with great communication skills so children and adults feel understood and empowered.
- Develops, manages and monitors department budgets and works with the Y’s Finance Department to ensure annual budgeting process is efficient. Ensures program fees are collected.
- Elevates the program to achieve the highest standards set by state and national certifying organizations and the YMCA and is in full compliance with state licensing.
- Develops a high-quality program curriculum that includes an emphasis on cross-disciplinary, project-based STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics) activities.
- Acts as a primary responder in case of injury, accident or illness and works with staff to ensure program and facility achieve the highest standards of safety at state, county and organizational levels, emergency procedures, and staff trainings and certifications.
- Creates and implements a communication plan to ensure parents, families, schools and other partners are regularly informed of child and program needs and have the opportunity to give feedback which is then acted upon.
- Performs high-level administrative tasks such as recruitment, hiring, training, staff scheduling, leading program staff meetings, parent meetings, and maintaining staff and student records.
- Collaborates with the CEO and marketing staff to promote program and helps to cross-promote other Y and age-appropriate programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Child Development or related field.
- Experience as a supervisor/coordinator of before and after school programs and with school-aged children or equivalent.
- Experience with program evaluation.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with parents, families, partners and community members.
- Be able to multi-task including managing multiple deadlines and priorities and problem-solve issues as they arise. Be flexible and modify role when needed.
- Be an effective communicator – both oral and in writing – with strong presentation and interpersonal skills.