Position: Teacher Assistant/Ed Tech III
Fiddlehead School of Arts and Sciences is one of Maine’s first approved public charter schools. We are located in Gray, Maine, and serve students in grades Pre-K through 7th grade. Our unique Reggio Emilia-inspired, the child-centered curriculum emphasizes the growth of children academically, socially, emotionally, and artistically.
We are looking for an experienced and confident assistant teacher to support all aspects of classroom learning. Assistant teachers perform both instructional and non-instructional duties including, but not limited to:
- Facilitate learning through the whole group, small group, and individual support of students.
- Carry out IEP and 504 accommodations.
- Support the academic and behavioral needs of students, including the implementation of PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports) and RTI (Response to Intervention).
- Help lead teacher to carry out curriculum and instruction.
- Assist and maintain documentation of student work and the creation of newsletters and other means of parent communication and evidence of student learning.
- Assume temporary responsibility for the classroom in the absence of the lead teacher.
- Seek professional growth through reading, attending workshops, or completing coursework.
- Participate in all in-house professional development, including meetings, training, and annual professional growth and evaluation process.
- Work with the lead teacher to collect and analyze student assessment data for Work Sampling Reports.
- Attend parent-teacher conferences and other class or school functions outside of regular school hours.
- Reinforce school policies and rules and maintain appropriate safety procedures.
- Perform other position-related duties as assigned by the lead teacher, Coordinator of Teaching and Learning, or Executive Director.
We are seeking a candidate who, at a minimum, possesses the following:
- A minimum of two years working in an elementary school setting.
- Experience working with students with moderate special needs, and a desire to work with this population.
- The mental, physical, and emotional health to carry out the position of Assistant Teacher.
- A commitment to equity and high expectations for all students, including the ability to contribute to a safe, respectful learning community.
- Professional behavior that addresses job responsibilities, policies, and procedures.
- A desire and ability to partner with families, including effective and sensitive communication.
- Hold appropriate credentials- Educational Technician III or Teacher Certification
- Hold a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Current authorization to work in the United States- candidates must have such authorization by their first day of employment
- Experience as an assistant teacher, Ed Tech, or teacher for at least 2 years in an elementary setting
- Experience supporting students with special needs, including providing IEP accommodations
- Experience in rural schools
- BHP certification a plus
- Autism spectrum experience a plus
- Competitive Salary
- Professional Development
- Supportive Work Environment
If you are interested in this position, please respond directly to Jacinda J. Cotton-Castro with your cover letter and resume.
Fiddlehead School provides equal employment opportunities (EOE) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Maine State Law requires ALL school employees to be fingerprinted and pass a Criminal History Record Check (CHRC). A copy of your CHRC MUST be uploaded as part of your application to be considered.