The Opportunity Alliance is seeking a Teacher Aide – Preschool
The Opportunity Alliance is seeking a full-time Teacher Aide to join our Head Start program. Head Start promotes the school readiness of young children from low-income families through local programs. Head Start and Early Head Start programs support the mental, social, and emotional development of children from birth to age 5. This position is responsible for collaborating with the Lead Teacher and Assistant Teacher to provide a safe, nurturing, and stimulating learning environment, primarily in a center-based classroom, for the overall growth and development of children & families in accordance with the Family and Early Childhood Education program plan, Head Start Performance Standards, State of Maine licensing rules, and NAEYC Accreditation Standards.
This is a full-time, 40 hours/week, year-round position based in South Portland, Maine.
• A high school diploma or equivalent or be attending high school or be enrolled in a GED preparation program or be enrolled in a CDA credential program (all must be completed within 2 years of hire).
• After completion of high school diploma/GED program, must enroll in a CDA program that will be completed within two years or equivalent coursework focused on child development.
• A CDA or equivalent or an Associate’s degree in ECE or equivalent, or Baccalaureate in any area preferred.
• 1 year of center-based teaching, early intervention, home visiting or community-based work related to preschoolers & their families, preferred.
• Knowledge of the important role that culture plays in child & family development.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with complex information to address challenging situations.
• Must be able to able to successfully pass a criminal background, child protective service check & sex offender check and must not be on the state or federal suspension and disbarment list.
• Must be able to pass pre-employment physical and TB screen and must be current on MMR and TDAP immunizations.
• Must be able to exert significant physical effort with frequent standing, walking, reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, typing and frequently lift and carry small children or material weighing up to 25 pounds.
• Driving may be necessary to attend meetings and trainings but is not a primarily and essential job responsibility.
Pay is competitive and based on experience and education. The Opportunity Alliance has an extensive benefit package including:
• Generous paid time off
• 9 paid holidays per calendar year and up to 3 floating holidays per calendar year
• Excellent medical benefits at very reasonable cost
• Dental and Vision insurance options
• Agency paid basic life insurance and STD & LTD disability insurances
• 403(b) retirement with a generous agency match
The Opportunity Alliance is the Community Action Agency for Cumberland County. Through multiple integrated community based and clinical programs, we serve more than 20,000 people annually throughout Maine. For 50 years, we have provided advocacy, leadership, and support to help individuals, families, and communities identify goals and address their needs. Our programming includes: Early Childhood Education, Family and Community Supports, Mental Health Services for Children, Youth, and Adults, Crisis Intervention and Prevention, Information and Referral, and Community Initiatives.
The Opportunity Alliance is an affirmative action / equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are viewing this listing on a third-party website, please visit our Careers page at https://www.opportunityalliance.org/careers / to apply. Thank you!