Title: Maintenance Worker
Job Goal: To perform multi-craft work to safely maintain and repair the physical structure of Thornton Academy’s buildings and may specialize in one or more of the journeyman’s areas: carpentry, plumbing, electrical, or HVAC.
Reports to: Maintenance Director or his designee
- Must demonstrate safe work habits, including the proper care and use of all tools, equipment, vehicles, hazardous materials, and observing all established health and safety regulations.
- Must have the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate aptitude or competence for performing basic carpentry, electrical, plumbing, roofing, painting, HVAC, grounds maintenance, mechanical repair, alarm monitoring, trouble shooting and reset, door and door hardware repair, and metal fabrication.
- Will be responsible for general mechanical repair and maintenance of vehicles and grounds equipment.
- Installation and repair of machinery, plumbing, physical structure, and fixtures of the school buildings in accordance with blueprints, manuals, building codes and safety regulations; using hand tools and carpenter’s, electrician’s, and plumber’s tools.
- Inspects machinery and mechanical equipment for defects and makes repairs.
- Inspects, diagnoses, installs, repairs and replaces gauges, valves, and other plumbing equipment.
- Inspects, diagnoses, repairs or replaces lights and fixtures.
- Paints, constructs, and repairs or remodels areas including basic carpentry, masonry, and dry wall using appropriate materials and tools.
- Receives and delivers supplies.
- Assembles and/or repairs equipment and furniture.
- Supports the overall maintenance/custodial and educational program.
- Irrigates and mows lawn and field areas and maintains trees, shrubbery, and other grounds and athletic field related work.
- Notifies the Facilities Director or his designee immediately of any maintenance problems or the need for services by an outside contractor.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned by the Facilities Director or his designee.
Note: The above job description reflects the general requirements necessary to describe the principal functions or responsibilities of the job identified. It is not a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job, either at present or in the future.
- Evidence of satisfactory experience and knowledge of maintenance and repair of buildings.
- Must hold a valid Maine driver’s license and current CHRC (background check with fingerprinting certificate required for employment in Maine schools)
- Must be able to follow written and oral instructions, read and understand work orders and building plans, and work with minimal supervision.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with staff, students, and community members.
- Must be able to operate Maintenance Department equipment, vehicles, and other equipment associated with this type of work.
To apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and completed job application (available for download here) electronically, by mail or in person to Susan Tarver:
Electronically (preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org
By mail/in person:
438 Main St
Saco, ME 04072
Thornton Academy provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, age, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital, veteran, or any other legally protected status.