Salary $26.00 per hr.
This 30-hour a week Lewiston ME-based position will split time evenly between the Educator Diversity Initiative (EDI) and the career and college pathway program. As the EDI coordinator, this position will coordinate an initiative to support a career pathway for diverse candidate interested in becoming educators in the Lewiston Public School system. As the Career Pathway Coach, this position will meet with College Transitions (CT) students as well as other students with foreign credentials and degrees to determine a college and career pathway. Additionally, this position will develop the skills to help participants and other community programs navigate licensing requirements for foreign-trained professionals.
Responsibilities and Duties
Educator Diversity Initiative
- Coordinate, recruit for and plan the Education Academy, a year-long training program to prepare future Ed Tech and teachers.
- Communicate with program teachers, College Transitions programming, community organizations, scholarship and DOL funding programs, school district staff, and Maine Department of Education to support each candidate’s unique pathway.
- Work closely with program participants to develop and implement an academic readiness plan that will help them achieve academic readiness for their college courses and programs.
- Coordinate evaluations of foreign degrees and credentials and assist with applying those credentials to college and career next steps.
- Work with participants to navigate all certification requirements and find academic programs and classes to meet their certification needs.
- Evaluate program and curriculum, change structure and re-design curricula as needed.
Career Pathway coach:
- Use advising systems and best practices to determine career and college pathways for college transitions students and adult education students with foreign degrees and credentials.
- Coordinate with Lewiston Adult Education staff to support referred student’s college and career goals in relation to their language and academic readiness levels.
- Conduct testing, assessment and evaluation as needed, make suggestions and referrals to programs and next steps as needed.
- Coordinate closely with the College Transitions teacher to support current and past students in navigating college and career steps, assist with CT classes as needed, and refer students to this program appropriately.
- Understanding licensing pathways for foreign-trained professional interested to guide foreign trained professionals in re-entering their fields.
- · Passionate about the role that education plays in helping diverse and underserved adults meet their professional and personal goals.
- · 3+ years of experience working with diverse adults in an educational or workforce development setting.
- · Experience teaching English to speakers of other languages and/ or working with individuals to overcome language barriers to meet their college and career goals.
- · Familiarity with using adult learning theory to guide program development and coordination.
- · Ability to think creatively and strategically to work with existing programs, initiatives and resources to meet student need.
- · Excellent communication skills, both through email and phone and especially interpersonal skills and building relationships with diverse audiences and stakeholders.
- · Self-motivated and directed; also works very well with a team.
- · Proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, online testing systems and practices and data college.
- · Bachelors in a related field required, masters in a related field preferred.
- · Knowledge of the Lewiston community and public-school system.
- · Experience with licensing pathways for foreign trained professionals in Maine a plus.