Position: Middle School Teacher - 8th Grade Lead Teacher
Fiddlehead School of Arts and Sciences is one of Maine’s first approved public charter schools. We are located in Gray, Maine, and serve students grades Pre-K through 8th Grade.
Fiddlehead is committed to the growth and development of the whole child: socially, emotionally, physically, academically, intellectually, and artistically. The goal of a Fiddlehead Education is for students to build a toolbox of habits, skills, and wonders to drive a lifelong love of learning. We aim to empower learners to seek answers to their own questions and to develop the means necessary for this endeavor.
Description & Responsibilities
We are looking for an inspired and confident teacher, with substantial teaching experience at the middle school level, to facilitate learning for 7th & 8th grade students with colleagues, within a progressive education model. Our 8th grade program, currently offers an end of year CAPSTONE project of which the Lead Teacher will help to facilitate within our Community. 8th Grade will be the selected candidate’s homeroom, and writing and reading will be taught by this selected person to both 7th and 8th Grade students.
- FACILITATE LEARNING: Take primary responsibility for teaching and differentiating instruction as needed to meet the needs of a range of learners. Work with other lead middle school teachers on the creation and facilitation of integrated units of study and project-based learning experiences, and outdoor learning in the local community.
- BUILD CLASSROOM COMMUNITY: Lead a homeroom class of middle school students focused on the creation of a safe, respectful, culturally sensitive, responsive learning community. Encourage thoughtful dialogue that challenges student thinking. Explicitly teach social and emotional skills, including problem solving, self-regulation, and mindfulness strategies.
- CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION: Work with the middle school Lead Teachers and Principal to continue to build upon our middle school curriculum that focuses on integrated units of study and meeting the needs of a range of learners. Implement the Eureka Math curriculum at the middle school level, supplementing with other curricula as needed.
- PARTNER WITH FAMILIES: Develop constructive relationships with families. Communicate regularly about student progress and challenges, curriculum, projects and classroom events.
- PROFESSIONALISM:Model professional behavior in accordance with job responsibilities, policies and procedures, and the expectations of professionals working in a collaborative community.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Teaching certificate or working towards certification.
- Strong Literacy, Language Arts, Humanities experience at the middle school level preferred.
- At least 3 years of lead classroom teaching experience.
- Current authorization to work in the United States
- Experience with Project-Based curriculum or interdisciplinary studies.
- Differentiating instruction to meet the needs of a range of learners in a classroom setting, including students with academic and behavioral needs.
- Experience with PBIS, Responsive Classroom and/or Restorative Practices.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
- Competitive Salary
- Professional Development.
- Supportive work environment
This position begins as soon as suitable candidate found.
If you are interested in this position, please respond directly to Jacinda Cotton-Castro with your cover letter and resume.
Fiddlehead School provides equal employment opportunities (EOE) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Maine State Law requires ALL school employees to be fingerprinted and pass a Criminal History Record Check (CHRC). A copy of your CHRC MUST be uploaded as part of your application to be considered.