Maine Central Institute is seeking a full-time faculty member to join the Mathematics Department beginning in August for the 2022-2023 school year. We are looking for an applicant with the experience or ability to teach Algebra I and Geometry in a collaborative environment. The department utilizes the problem-based curriculum from Illustrative Mathematics to help students solve problems in real-world contexts, and construct arguments using precise mathematical language. For more information, please visit https://im.kendallhunt.com/HS/index.html
The faculty member will work closely with colleagues to develop an engaging learning environment that promotes critical thinking and problem solving. An ideal applicant will be comfortable teaching in a 1:1 ipad classroom, using Google Classroom to post course materials, and communicate with students and parents. This position requires frequent communication with parents, counselors, and other teachers, scheduling interventions for students, and attending department/faculty meetings.
Founded in 1866, Maine Central Institute is an independent town academy serving students in grades 9-12 from surrounding local communities as well as international students from over 30 countries. The ideal candidate will possess a strong desire to teach at an independent residential school. Each faculty member is expected to contribute to the co-curricular environment at MCI. This position has a training start date of August 23, 2022.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in mathematics or education required; a master’s degree in education or math is preferred.
- Prior high school teaching experience is required and experience with students with a wide range of abilities and international students preferred.
- Proficiency in use of instructional technology; experience with a 1:1 program a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with students, parents, peers, and supervisors.
- Proficiency in the use of data to assess student progress and to drive instruction.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, completed MCI Job application (MCI Job Application) and three letters of reference.
MCI offers a competitive benefits program including medical, vision and dental plans, disability, life insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
Scott Giallombardo, Dean of Academics
Maine Central Institute
295 Main Street
Pittsfield, Maine 04967