The Maine Educational Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing/ Gov. Baxter School for the Deaf is seeking to fill a ½ time, 200-day, Public School Outreach Teacher of the Deaf/Deaf Role Model position within the Public School Outreach and Community Services Program. Position will be based out of the Brewer MECDHH outreach office, but will be placed in a local public school where an MECDHH regional program will be housed.
Work collaboratively with the MECDHH Regional Teacher of the Deaf to:
- Serve students in public school settings with goals for ASL development.
- Provide American Sign Language classes for students and families.
- Act in the role of Deaf Mentor for the Regional Peer Support Programs and “Kids Like Me” programs for elementary students and for mid-high school students, working as part of a team.
- Provide itinerant specially designed instruction to deaf and hard of hearing students communicating in American Sign Language in mainstream settings.
- Provide ongoing educational consultation and technical assistance to professionals working with children who are deaf or hard of hearing communicating via American Sign Language in public schools.
- Participate in IEP meetings and provide input into IEPs for students on caseload.
- Provide in-service training to public school professionals related to American Sign Language and/or Deaf Culture.
- Participate in periodic program-sponsored family activities in the role of Deaf Mentor.
- Work with the Public School Outreach Team to develop educational webinars.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Masters preferred)
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in Deaf Education
- State of Maine Certification as a 292 Teacher of the Deaf or related certification/licensure or willingness to obtain
- Background and knowledge in ASL Linguistics/Deaf Studies
- Native or Native-like fluency in American Sign Language
- ASL PI score of 4 or higher
- Experience conducting ASL evaluations
- Such alternatives to the qualifications listed above as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable
- Prior teaching experience with children who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Experience using social media and digital technology or a willingness to learn
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Current CHRC Certificate required
- Willingness to work as part of educational teams
A competitive salary and benefits package, including medical/dental insurance, Maine State Retirement and paid sick/personal time, is offered.
If interested in applying for this position, please click the APPLY link next to the Teacher of the Deaf listing on the Maine Educational Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Career Opportunities website page.
PLEASE NOTE: Employment cannot be finalized until the applicant has completed requirements for complete background checks and fingerprinting as required by Maine State Statute.
We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings.