This is a vacancy for the 2019-2020 school year. Washington Academy is seeking a highly motivated candidate for our full-time position for a Director of Guidance.
The Director of Guidance performs overall direction and supervision of the guidance program and staff and also performs counseling duties for students. The Director of Guidance is responsible for the academic planning of all junior and senior students.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY DUTIES:
· Performs administrative duties in directing and coordinating all guidance activities including supervision of other counselors and support staff
· Coordinates financial aid awareness programs, Fall Open House, and Academic Banquet.
· Assists Admissions Office with Freshmen Orientation, Freshmen Transition Day, Freshmen Parent Open House, and Step Up Day.
· Coordinates with Head of School to complete master schedule.
· Manages student course registration and course changes for all juniors and seniors.
· Creates an atmosphere of mutual respect and caring to foster a positive climate for learning and personal growth.
· Uses appropriate counseling strategies.
· Monitors and assesses student learning and personal growth.
· Maintains appropriate confidentiality.
· Maintains records as required by law, system policy and administrative regulations, and serves as a resource to other school personnel in the use and interpretation of records.
· Assists in upholding and enforcing school rules and administrative regulations.
· Calculates and updates class standing at the end of each semester.
· Responsible for tracking students’ attainment of credit towards graduation requirements.
· Directs All School Assembly program through Advisor/Advisee.
· Works to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students, parents and colleagues concerning both the academic and behavioral progress of all students.
· Administers standardized tests such as ACT, SAT and PSAT for students.
· Works with outside schools and/or agencies to coordinate work study or internship opportunity for students.
· Coordinates early college program and registration for all students.
· Assists students with the college search and application process.
Minimum of a Master’s degree. Must hold or be eligible for or willing to works towards certification as a Guidance Counselor in Maine. Experience at the high school level is preferred.