Mathematics and Computer Science Teacher and Department Chair
Kents Hill School is at a pivotal moment in its almost 200-year-old history. Our new Head of School has brought a clear educational vision, a global perspective, experience at both traditional boarding and international start-up schools, and a strengthened focus on developing the whole student through a balanced, intentional, and purposeful curriculum. The foundation that has made Kents Hill one of the oldest boarding schools in the country, caring and deeply engaged faculty members who truly know each student, is stronger than ever. Our 225 students grades 9-PG hail from 25 states and over 20 countries. Our small size allows for a transformative educational experience rooted in community, character, and values. Our academic leadership team supports teachers, while also encouraging all members of the community to be lifelong learners.
This position, with a start date of August 2019, will join a strong STEAM department and have the opportunity to lead an existing Mathematics team and build a Computer Science program from the ground up. Our Mathematics offerings begin with Algebra 1 and lead through AP BC Calculus. We are looking for an individual who is equally excited to teach higher level math courses, including computational math, and innovative computer science classes. This full-time teaching position will lead the Mathematics/Computer Science Department and will also advise a group of students, actively participate in the residential life program, and assist with extracurricular activities.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An expert in their field with a passion for teaching students to share their love for mathematics and technology.
- Committed to developing in all Kents Hill students the kinds of sophisticated problem-solving and critical-thinking strategies needed for success in college and beyond.
- Excited to actively collaborate in innovative curriculum design, pedagogy, and assessment.
- Able to teach high-level math through the incorporation of real-world applications.
- Knowledgeable of diverse programming languages leading to tangible student outcomes such as web pages, 3D printing and fabrication, animation, games, and apps.
- Committed to the entire student experience and wanting to engage with students both inside and outside of the classroom.
- Interested in coaching two sports with a preference given to candidates with experience with Lacrosse, Soccer, Fencing, Dance, or Field Hockey.
- Culturally competent with skills for engaging with and learning from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Kents Hill School is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
How to Apply: Please send letter of interest and resume to: HR@kentshill.org.
Subject Line: Mathematics and Computer Science Teacher and Department Chair