Deering High School
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
This posting is for a part time high school Social Studies Teacher at Deering High School in Portland, Maine. Deering High School is an ethnically, linguistically, and socio-economically diverse high school that serves about 900 students in grades 9-12.
This is a part time social studies teaching position (.4FTE) with a focus on 9th grade. In the 9th grade curriculum, students examine the geography, history, culture, politics, and economy of world regions, past and present. There is an emphasis on identifying historical turning points, examining the legacy of earlier civilizations, evaluating the role of the individual in shaping history, and analyzing interactions among cultures.
Under direction of the school principal, plans and provides for appropriate learning experiences for students. Provides an atmosphere and environment conducive to the intellectual, physical, social and emotional development of individuals to ensure Success for Every Student. Supervises students in a variety of school related settings. Monitors and evaluates student outcomes. Communicates and interacts with students, parents, staff and community. Develops, selects and modifies instructional plans and materials to meet the needs of all students. Maintains appropriate records and follows required procedures and practices. Monitors appropriate use and care of equipment, materials and facilities.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION STANDARDS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of PPS curriculum, techniques for integrating curriculum, PPS policies, and effective instructional practices.
- Understanding of the teaching/learning process.
- Ability to provide instruction that reflects multiple perspectives and multicultural education.
- Ability to infuse technology into curriculum.
- Ability to work effectively with administrators, colleagues, central office and school based staff, students, parents and community.
- Excellent oral and written communication and human relations skills.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in applicable field of education from an accredited college or university.