Maine Virtual Academy has an opening for a talented entry level English teacher who is seeking to grow his/her career in a virtual education setting. Our teachers have a passion to provide students with a world class educational program that meets student’s needs. We have an excellent training program for teachers new to teaching in a virtual school. Teachers must be able to commute to Augusta 5 days per week. This is not a work from home position. The position requires the ability to teach from the school location in Augusta, Monday through Friday from 8 am until 4 pm throughout the school year. The ideal candidate is certified in his/her content area and has knowledge and training in teaching high school English; is comfortable working in a technology rich environment; exhibits superior organizational and communication skills; is compassionate and student centered; and can participate effectively in a team environment.
- Planning classroom instruction to align to the core standards.
- Engaging students in online coursework through whole group sessions, small group sessions and 1 on 1 sessions. Teachers are required to have a minimum of 15 hours of teaching time each week which are comprised of whole group, small group and 1 on 1 sessions.
- Monitoring and analyzing student efforts and proving timely feedback and coaching.
- Communicating effectively with students in the virtual classroom, the virtual homeroom and through other forms of communication including weekly phone calls to keep students motivated and engaged in school.
- Communicating with parents and learning coaches on a regular and as needed basis.
- Grading assignments, exams and projects within 5 days.
- Proctoring MEA's, NWEA's and SAT tests across the State of Maine.
- Participating in 504 and IEP meetings as part of the student team.
- Co-teach as a positive team member with the MEVA staff
- Participating in staff meetings.
- Participating in professional development activities.
- Participate in open house events.
- Ability to work Monday – Friday from 8am until 4pm
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Teaching certificate from the Maine Department of Education in English (100)
- Current CHRC with State of Maine
We offer an excellent benefit package including medical insurance, dental, vision, life insurance, and short term and long-term disability insurance. Our employees participate in the Maine State retirement plan.
To apply submit the following documents to Dr. Melinda Browne, Head of School at email@example.com:
- Current CHRC certificate
- Copy of college transcripts
- 3 letters of recommendation.
Maine Virtual Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.