FOOD SERVICE SPECIALIST
As a Food Service Specialist, you will deliver measurable results in assisting the Kitchen Manager in the provision of healthy and nutritious school lunches that meet all state and federal requirements for an approved school lunch or ala carte menu. This is a 5 hour per day position in the School Nutrition Program, currently located at Kennebunk High School.
Reports to: Food Service Supervisor
Qualifications: Love what you do, working to provide a healthy and nutritious school lunch to all our students at RSU 21. Must have a high school diploma and/or G.E.D., sanitation certification, minimum two years experience in food service, demonstrate organizational qualities, and physical ability to handle demands of the job. All employees must have a valid DOE fingerprinting certification.
- Maintain the highest standards of safety and cleanliness in the kitchen.
- Comply with District and school policies, rules regulations schedules and goals.
- Prepare food according to a planned menu and tested, uniform recipes determine if the finished product is of the best quality in flavor and appearance before it is served.
- Record all food requisitions from the storeroom and record all meals.
- Help maintain a correct monthly inventory of cooking/baking supplies.
- Check food shipments into the school and sign invoices only after each order has been verified.
- Must have the ability to create and maintain positive relationships with students, teachers, parents and the general public and to collaborate with appropriate stakeholders to maintain high quality of services.
- Order, through the Kitchen Manager, on a weekly basis, all necessary supplies.
- Report to the Kitchen Manager any faulty or inferior quality food which is received.
- Report immediately to the Kitchen Manager any problem or incident occurring in the kitchen or cafeteria area.
- Participate daily in the cleaning of all kitchen equipment, including washing and sterilizing equipment, dishes, silverware, utensils, and work areas.
- Perform related duties as required, including duties at special meal functions.
- Perform other duties that may be reasonably assigned by the Kitchen Manager and or Food/Services Director
- Attention to detail: you’re obsessed with accuracy and embrace the importance of “getting it right”; you triple-check documentation to ensure you can stand by your work; your discipline enables you to work error-free despite repetitive nature of tasks
- Team player: you support your colleagues and have their backs; you pinch hit for one another when needed; you approach your work with a team mentality to ensure collective success
- Critical judgment and decision-making: you apply informed judgment to resolve difficult issues; you confront emerging challenges and recommend thoughtful, creative, and impactful solutions
- Commitment to processes and procedures: you (and your teams) standardize, follow, and refine approaches and systems; you collectively identify and document process solutions
- 100% follow-through: you have a no-dropped-balls policy, stay on top of all specific tasks/follow-up items and general areas of work to meet deadlines consistently; you clearly communicate steps taken
- Calm in the storm: you stay grounded and focused when problems emerge; you stand ready to provide support, identify options, and delegate tasks as needed
- Embrace diversity: you value a diversity of perspectives, styles and beliefs; you understand the difference between tolerance and inclusion
Reasonable Accommodations: RSU 21 will provide accommodations to an individual with a disability, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or applicable law, who has made the district aware of their disability, unless doing so would cause an undue hardship to the district.
Terms of Employment: School Year. Salary range is $17 to $19.98 per hour, commensurate with candidate qualifications and experience.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of Support Services Personnel.
RSU21 is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming and inclusive community that supports the safety and well-being of all of our students, faculty, and staff. We are committed to implementing programs and practices that support diversity, equity, and inclusion. As a part of this commitment, we welcome all applicants. RSU21 does not discriminate based on race, color, gender, gender identity, orientation, disability, religion, age, national origin, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. If you are a person of color, LGBTQ+, disabled, or belong to any protected class, we encourage you to apply. Our diversity strengthens our mission to produce global citizens.