The University of Maine at Augusta is seeking applicants for the full-time position of Director of Student Accounts. The Director is responsible for all university business office functions, including daily accounting operations, year-end and month-end financial close, financial reporting, general ledger hierarchy and data accuracy, and financial literacy and training. The director is also responsible for monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting and audits, as well as financial information security requirements and Payment Card Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) compliance. The director will also analyze and recommend tuition and fee structures for the university.
This position leads a team of two. The incumbent will play an essential role in the division's commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, lead cross-functional working groups, and serve on various campus committees.
A full position description can be found here.
Salary: The hiring salary for this position is $60,000.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, occasional nights and weekends.
Benefits: The University provides a highly competitive benefits package that includes: holidays, vacation, and sick time; health, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance; short and long-term disability insurance; a tuition waiver program for employees and their eligible dependents; a 403(b) retirement plan with a 10% university contribution, and more. View our Benefits Information Summary to learn more.
About the University
UMA transforms the lives of students of every age and background across the State of Maine and beyond through access to high-quality distance and on-site education, excellence in student support, civic engagement, and professional and liberal arts programs.
UMA is the third-largest public university in Maine. In addition to its main campus in the state’s capital, UMA also serves students at its campus in Bangor (UMA Bangor) and through UMA Centers around the state. With its multiple locations and long-term expertise in online and distance learning, UMA is generally considered the University of Choice for Mainers of all ages who want to attend college without uprooting their lives.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple responsibilities
- Ability to read and interpret federal regulations
- Knowledge of applicable regulations - FERPA, PCI compliance, federal and state financial regulations
- Knowledge of accounting and accounts receivable principles, methodologies, and practices
- Knowledge of fiscal controls related to safeguarding institutional funds
- Ability to lead a team as a working manager in a matrixed environment
- Ability to build strong peer-to-peer relationships to provide indirect and direct support
- Knowledge of higher education finance, including fund accounting, student revenues, tuition discounting, restricted and unrestricted philanthropy, endowment management, and expense management
- Skills of influence and negotiation to achieve balanced financial goals and objectives
- Exceptional analytical problem-solving skills with a passion for data integrity, process definition, and continuous learning
- Expert knowledge of Excel for complex financial modeling as well as effectively summarizing and visualizing data
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: concise, articulate, and confident. Able to communicate technical financial information to non-finance audiences
- Ability to work independently
- Drives results and is solution-oriented
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all aspects of job responsibilities
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization, and follow-up skills
- Ability to interface effectively at all levels of the organization
- Proven leadership skills
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Three to five years of relevant professional experience
- Experience with PeopleSoft - especially MaineStreet Financials and Campus Solutions
- Experience in higher education - especially in a student financial/cash management capacity
Materials must be submitted via "Apply for Position" below. You will need to create an applicant profile and upload:
- a cover letter that fully describes your qualifications and experiences with specific reference to the required and preferred qualifications
- a resume/curriculum vitae
- contact information for three professional references.
You will also need to complete the affirmative action survey, the self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification of veteran status form. Incomplete application materials cannot be considered. We are not able to consider applicants who require Visa Sponsorship support.
Review of applications will begin on October 10, 2023. Materials received after October 9, 2023, will be considered at the discretion of the university.
The successful applicant is subject to appropriate background screening.
In complying with the letter and spirit of applicable laws and pursuing its own goals of diversity, the University of Maine at Augusta does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, gender identity or expression, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, familial status, ancestry, age, disability physical or mental, genetic information, or veterans or military status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 5713 Chadbourne Hall, Room 412, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5713, 207-581-1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).