Position: School Counselor/Social Worker
(Part-Time - 28 hours per week.)
Fiddlehead School of Arts and Sciences is one of Maine’s first approved public charter schools. We are located in Gray, Maine, and serve students grades Pre-K through sixth grade
Fiddlehead is committed to the growth and development of the whole child socially, emotionally, physically, academically, intellectually, and artistically. The goal of a Fiddlehead Education is for students to build a toolbox of habits, skills, and wonderings to drive a lifelong love of learning. We aim to empower learners to see answers to their own questions and to develop the means necessary for this endeavor.
DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The school Social Worker will provide social work/counseling services to building programs which include but are not limited to:
- Meet IEP obligations.
- Provide direct intervention to students and/or their families to promote improvement in social-emotional and behavioral factors.
- Consultation to school personnel regarding the needs of students, families, and programs
- Provides advocacy services on behalf of student, parent(s) and school
- Engages in positive conflict resolution and mediation between and among home and school factors
- When appropriate or necessary, provide information for outside support services or agencies to help students deal with economic, emotional or physical challenges.
- Provide in-service, consultation, and assistance to faculty, staff, and families as needed in matters related to child welfare.
- Conduct formal and/or informal family assessments, social histories, informal student assessments and/or psychosocial assessments
- Support the development goals of students’ Individualized Education Plan (IEP), 504 Plan, Response to Intervention plans, the Child Study process, and/or support plans
- Provide crisis follow-up and coordination services to families and children after traumatic family incidents.
- Provide linkage to, and advocacy for, community resources that a family may have the need for.
- Directs social skills development programming in whole class or small group setting (for student needs such as teasing, body image, grief and loss, family changes, bias, etc.).
- Develops staff in-service training programs and supporting teaching staff as needed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Three years of prior experience as a Social Worker or Counselor working with children in an elementary school setting.
- State of Maine School Counselor certification (075) and/or State of Maine Licensure as LCSW, or LCPC (Minimum of a Master’s Degree)
- Communication skills appropriate for engaging with parents, teachers, and administrators to provide a full view of issues to meet students needs.
- Strong organizational and crisis management skills.
- Knowledge of community resources desired.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Competitive salary
- Professional development
- Supportive work environment
Deadline to submit: May 31st, 2019. This position begins in the last week of August 2019.
If you are interested in this position, please respond directly to Jacinda Cotton-Castro with your cover letter and resume.
Mail or email to:
Fiddlehead School of Arts & Sciences
25 Shaker Road
Gray, Maine 04039
Attn: Jacinda J. Cotton-Castro
Fiddlehead School provides equal employment opportunities (EOE) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Maine State Law requires ALL school employees to be fingerprinted and pass a Criminal History Record Check (CHRC). A copy of your CHRC MUST be uploaded as part of your application to be considered.