Custodian Night Shift - Part-time
(4 - hour Shift)
The purpose of this job is to maintain the physical school facilities in a condition of operating excellence, cleanliness and safety so that full educational use of them may be made at all times.
Qualifications: Love what you do, working in a school environment. The candidate must hold a High School Diploma. The candidate should possess a strong background in custodial/cleaning in a school system, and computer experience a plus. Must have the ability to reach, lift (up to 50 lbs), basic math, writing, eye-hand coordination, sitting, stooping, ability to talk, hear, see, speak and communicate effectively. Applicants must be able read and understand policies and procedures and related information and to follow verbal or demonstrated instructions. Ability to perform all necessary upper and lower body movement. Demonstrate competency and experience in all areas of these services. This is a night shift position but during the school breaks and summer break the hours revert to the day shift schedule.
Reports to: Night Shift Lead & Facilities Manager
- Maintains an appropriate inventory of supplies.
- Following the expected levels of daily cleaning log as provided by Facilities Manager and/or Night Lead
- Inspects each building frequently for safety & notify management of concerns.
- Works with the Night Shift Lead to make sure that school activities are covered and make arrangements to ensure set-ups are handled efficiently and all needed supplies are in place.
- Regularly makes reports and work orders for equipment repairs and building repairs that need to be done.
- Aids as needed in regards to security for the district.
- May be required to work flexible hours to meet the needs of RSU21.
- Remains on the school premises during your designated shift hours and during non-school hours when the use of the building has been authorized and his/her attendance is required.
- Cleans and arranges classrooms, cleans hallways stairs and landings, cleans and sets-up cafeteria, cleans gym floors and bleacher areas, cleans and sanitizes locker rooms, cleans and restocks bath areas when required.
- Cleans and maintains safe walkways and entrances doing snow removal, sanding/salting, and cleaning sand and debris from walks and entrances, including hydrants and oil fills.
- Ensures when buildings are in use at night, school policies are being followed.
- Maintains custodial closets with proper amount of product and keeps area cleans and secure. This includes keeping all machinery and tools clean and in good repair as well as the closet floor and walls.
- Responsible for filling out supply request form weekly.
- Follows articles written in the bargaining agreements set forth by the Association and Board.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by the Facilities Manager.
- Team leader: you lead by example by modeling a high bar for performance and being a team exemplar; you operate at the intersection of what’s best for both our district, staff, and students
- Organized approach: you view your work as supporting the whole and track your own and others’ work accordingly; you adhere to systems and processes diligently
- Critical judgment and decision-making: you apply informed judgment to resolve difficult issues; you confront emerging challenges and recommend thoughtful, creative, and impactful solutions
- Commitment to processes and procedures: you (and your teams) standardize, follow, and refine approaches and systems; you collectively identify and document process solutions
- 100% follow-through: you have a no-dropped-balls policy, stay on top of all specific tasks/follow-up items and general areas of work to meet deadlines consistently; you clearly communicate steps taken
- Calm in the storm: you stay grounded and focused when problems emerge; you stand ready to provide support, identify options, and delegate tasks as needed
- Embrace diversity: you value a diversity of perspectives, styles and beliefs; you understand the difference between tolerance and inclusion
Reasonable Accommodations: RSU 21 will provide accommodations to an individual with a disability, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or applicable law, who has made the district aware of their disability, unless doing so would cause an undue hardship to the district.
Terms of Employment: Twelve-month year. Salary to be established by Collective Bargaining Agreement and Board policies.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with this document by the Custodian Night Shift Lead and/or Facilities Manager.
RSU21 is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be a welcoming and inclusive community that supports the safety and well-being of all of our students, faculty, and staff. We are committed to implementing programs and practices that support diversity, equity, and inclusion. As a part of this commitment, we welcome all applicants. RSU21 does not discriminate based on race, color, gender, gender identity, orientation, disability, religion, age, national origin, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. If you are a person of color, LGBTQ+, disabled, or belong to any protected class, we encourage you to apply. Our diversity strengthens our mission to produce global citizens.